108909 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding disk in SG Cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding disk in SG Cluster

Testing has confirmed that you can indeed import a cluster aware VG on another node while it is activated exclusively.

I was also able to modify the VG configuration (added a disk) on the 'exclusive' node, reimport the VG on the standby node and fail the package over. The additional disk was recognised on the standby node.

So it looks as though 'exclusive' mode doesn't prevent anything regarding vgexport/vgimport. All it does is prevent a second node from activating the VG for writing.

If anybody has any further suggestions for testing, let me know.

Regards to all,
John
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding disk in SG Cluster

G'Day Mates...
Just 'cause I'm a woman and like the last word - I'd thought I'd let you know how it went.
Well, it does work.
3 node cluster...stop the package on the node that the package runs on. Do what you usually do there and vgexport the mapfile and rcp it to the 2 other nodes (that are up and running on their own packages).
Now before you bring that package on node 3 back up....go over to each of the other nodes and do the following:
vgchange -c n /dev/node3_volgrp
vgchange -a y /dev/node3_volgrp
**** here's the tricky part - - normally you would rm the group and recreate with mknod and do the vgimport...but it doesn't like that !. -- So at this point do a vgexport /dev/node3_volgrp and get it out of the /etc/lvmtab that way. Then go back and do the recreate of the group with mknod....then do the vgimport -vs /dev/node3_vg/vg.map etc. ****
Now just vgchange activity back to the cluster.
When you finish this on all your nodes, restart the package on node3 and voila ! All done.
I'd like to say this was a piece of cake...but it wasn't, because this node 3 runs FileNet and if anyone out there has ever worked with it, you know adding disk or making any modifications isn't *fun*. FileNet has a mind of it's own....so it was a long, long, long night....
Anyway, your right I was generous with points...(but only cause someone told me once that I was 'kissing but' when I said something about points once before...so I decided to be generous, where they felt I was rude and insulting on this issue....).
Enjoy the points....they were earned and worth every bit !!
Thank you All !
Rita