108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ARIES

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

ARIES

I have heard that Applications running on PA RISC 11.11 can be virtualised on Integrity using ARIES...

Are there any issues related to performance & compatibality when done so...

plz advise
11 REPLIES 11
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

Aries is intrinsically part of the HP-UX core on Itanium servers. See:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/Aries.5.html

www.hp.com/go/aries

Regards!

...JRF...
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

are there any known issue with aries...

will applications such as SAP & OVO runnning on old Obselete PA risc running 11.11 work on integrity running 11.23 or 11.31

there are all production servers running mission critical applications....

any performance degradation issues ???
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>any performance degradation issues ???

Possibly. The fact that the code that is being run has to be run through an 'emulator' can slow it down. The percentage depends on the application.

However, depending on the age of your PA-RISC hardware, the applications MAY run faster on the Itanium servers, even taking into account the ARIES performance penalty, due to the faster processors.

This is why you should TEST. You should bring in some servers and test these applications first so you can see what will happen, rather than taking our word for it.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

There are some general measurements of performance in the "ARIES PERFORMANCE: section of the manpages I cited.

There is a very good presentation listed in the second link I gave; viz.

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/hpux/Aries/HP-ARIES-External.pdf

Section-7 of the above discusses performance factors.

Regards!

...JRF...
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone...

I have an Issue now... I have this PA RISC server 11.11 running Oracle and I have to test how it works on an Integrity server running 11.31...

Now how do I test.. I mean how to gett this oracle over Integrity server to test.I have an npar & two vpars on this Integrity server...
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Actually I have 5 other applications running on this PA risc server 11.11 besides oracle..

How do I test how it works on an Integrity server running 11.31...(To test ARIES)

Now how do I test.. I mean how to gett this oracle over Integrity server to test.I have an npar & two vpars on this Integrity server...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Duplicate the directory structure on the Itanium servers and copy the applications and data over. Try to start them up. See what happens.
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Duplicate the directory structure means copy all the VG's to some tape and then paste it on the targer server....
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>Duplicate the directory structure means copy all the VG's to some tape and then paste it on the targer server....

Not necessarily.

You will, probably, need to create some VGs, or at least LVs, on your test server(s) of the appropriate size to handle you production data. You will then need to mount these LVs to the appropriate directories (like the production servers). Once that is done you can backup the data on the prod server and restore it to the test server or just copy the data from one server to another.

How you get the data from one to another is up to you, but you must have the appropriate storage available on the test servers.