1755902 Members
3145 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Automatic File Encryption System

Chris Bishop
Occasional Advisor

Automatic File Encryption System

I have a need to encrypt files on my 10.20 HPUX server for payroll data. I was hoping to find a solution that would encrypt files in a specific directory through a cron script, so that they could then be sent via FTP or Email. We have looked at the PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) product, but anything for the Unix platform that is command line driven and also can be automated is prohibitively expensive. They have a Wintel desktop product that is cheaper, but thats an additional layer of user interaction. What are the best products out there for doing this sort of thing?
3 REPLIES 3
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Automatic File Encryption System

I believe that PGP is your better option for what you describe. There are other products and companies but I am thinking they may all be costly. Another company to check out would be RSA.
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

Chris,

the only problem with automating PGP, is that you'll have to code your passkey in somewhere (especially if using cron). You'd want to ensure that root is a very trusted person and that the file has the minimum permissions required.

I'm not sure, but if pgpdisk is avail on unix, that might be worth trying.
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

Can you not just use "crypt". It may not be PGP, but you can use whatever key you wish. This key can also be plugged in on the other side, assuming that the other side is unix.
since "crypt" is command line driven, it can be scripted, and I have done exactly what you need in an automated ftp process via cron.

Best regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?