2585 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Boot from ignite tape for HP-UX 11.23 rx8620

SOLVED
Go to solution

Boot from ignite tape for HP-UX 11.23 rx8620

HI:

Ignite C.6.2.241 (latest version) has introduced a significant changes in the format of Ignite tapes. These changes include (as stated in the documentation) features for enabling Itanium systems to boot directly from an ignite tape in just one step. However, I tried to configure my new rx8620 cells to boot from tape, but I couldn't find the way to do so. I guess it's necesary to apply a firmware patch or something like that to enable tape booting in this servers. Am I OK? Please let me know if it is correct and what any other thing I would need to boot from ignite tapes. Thanks a lot.

Jose Enrique
6 REPLIES 6
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Re: Boot from ignite tape for HP-UX 11.23 rx8620

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

AFAIK Itanium- and PA-RISC based system now can work together (e.g. can be installed from a comman golden image), but you still need to boot an itanium server from a bootable CD - a tape doesn't work.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi jose,

I havent heard yet that itaniums support booting from tape and cannot see any EFI updates to support this.

I think you still have to boot the core os dvd first and then recover from this.

If it did support booting you would have to add it as aboot option anyway

you might want to read victorias thread here

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=962891

Andy
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The direct boot funcationality has been enabled in the ignite-ux version c.6.2.x on Itanium systems by changing the format of the Ignite-UX recovery tape. The release note says the direct boot may be supported
by some systems in the future.

So I doubt the direct boot is supported on rx8620 server. That's why you don't get an option to boot from the recovery tape.
You are right in saying about firmware upgrade. I guess the support would be provided by firmware upgrades to IODC and EFI.

I would contact HP and get confirmation about the availability of this upgrade.

Untill the direct boot support is available , you need to follow the current two step boot recovery process which involved booting first with DVD and then use the recovery tape.

VAS_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

On October 4, I was told by support@atl.hp.com:

'You will still need to use the "two-step media" recovery process for Itanium. The changes made in the newer version of Ignite are in preperation to be supported by some systems in the future.'

VAS

Thanks you all, and very specially to Victoria and Sameer for thier very precise comments.