3155 Online
108865 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CDE sessions

Marcin Mirkowski_1
Occasional Contributor

CDE sessions

Hello All!

Is there any simple method to disable session management under CDE? I would like to close all of the applications at the user logoff moment, not to leave them working in the background.
4 REPLIES 4
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
I am not sure if I understand you correct, applications is normally not left running after logout but in some cases be started again at next login. Try with starting the Style-manager, select startup and select "Return to home session". You can define the home session (for example an empty workspace) with "Set home session".
Marcin Mirkowski_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

well, I have a lot of applications not closed at the end of the user sessions. After some time the load of the server is too high and I have to kill aps/reboot. I would like to disable the session management for users, so this could be nice for me (not for them :) ) but there is nothing in the docs about this.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

why not make use of CDE's sessionexit and sessionetc scripts (not there by default)

vi $HOME/.dt/sessions/sessionexit
and make executable.

this will be executed last thing before a users home or current session is saved and can be used to kill off unwanted applications gracefully before user log out : see CDE advanced Users guide pg 35-36

obviously you'll need a bit of scripting knowledge.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Ok you may like to look at /usr/dt/config/Xconfig : Dtlogin*terminateServer resource : see man dtlogin for explanation ....

or use sessionexit to rm -R $HOME/.dt thus avoiding users home or current sessions being restored but it sounds to me the problem is the applications aren't shutdown by users and don't get killed upon logout of CDE either.

I'd prefer the sessionetc route and kill them off according too pid or similar via a small script.