2831 Online
108894 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: chatr on Itanium HPUX 11.23

JLiYim
Occasional Advisor

chatr on Itanium HPUX 11.23

Hi,

On PA_RISC, I used to be able to use chatr to convert static libraries to dynamic as follows:
chatr -l /usr/local/lib/libssl.sl wget

However, this does not work anymore on Itanium and I've found an article (http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90655/ch04s01.html) saying that this only works in 32-Bit mode only.

Is there an alternative way to do the same thing on Itanium?

Thanks,
John
4 REPLIES 4
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Hi John

see man page of chatr in Itanium OS

#man chatr
a warrior never quits
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What are you trying to do? It seems that -l isn't needed because you can't disable it, unless you link with +compat.
chatr(error): invalid -l argument: /var/tmp/foo.so

>ahsan: see man page of chatr on Integrity OS

If you happen to know exactly where that is, you might mention it. I don't see the N logical inferences that says that? In fact I had to look at the code the last time it was asked.
JLiYim
Occasional Advisor

I downloaded wget from the HP Porting Website but I did not want to install the other dependent libraries in the hard-coded path.

On PA_RISC, I could use the chatr -l and then put the libraries under SHLIB_PATH.

I guess that will leave me with no alternative but to recompile the code.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I downloaded wget from the HP Porting Website but I did not want to install the other dependent libraries in the hard-coded path.

I didn't think I could duplicate it so I downloaded wget too. It is as you said. (It took me a little while to duplicate it, after I forgot I already did it.)

>I guess that will leave me with no alternative but to recompile the code.

It appears you're right. Unless you want to write a binary patching tool to remove the path.