1756613 Members
2796 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: cifs mountpoint permissions?

Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

cifs mountpoint permissions?

I want to add a cifs mountpoint to fstab for use by a non-root user. I can get the mountpoint to work fine - except that a non-root user can't access it. Help???

The permissions on the directory where the share will be mounted (and on all parent directories) are 555. When I mount the share there and then ls -lad the mountpoint as root, it shows up mode 777. When I try exactly the same ls -lad as a non-root user, it says "/mountpoint not found". (Where "mountpoint" is actually /home/tgfurnis/moo in this case.)

If I actually try to cat a file that I know exists on the windows server using a non-root account, I get the following:
$ cat /home/tgfurnis/moo/bob.txt
NFS lookup failed for server hqtgfurnish1: RPC: Remote system error
cat: Cannot open /home/tgfurnis/moo/bob.txt: I/O error

The remote windows system logs nothing in its event logs. In fact, a network sniff shows that the 'cat' command did not even cause any network traffic between the two machines, so this problem is entirely within my cifsclient set-up on the hpux box.

I'm stumped. Please help...
Hockey PUX?
1 REPLY 1
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Re: cifs mountpoint permissions?

Hi Trever,

There are a couple of ways round this. You could use the cifslogin command for the non-root user to authenticate them against the share's server, or you could use the guestUser config parameter which allows any user who hasn't authenticated against the server to use the mountpoint as a guest. Take a look at the "Configuration Variables" section of the Installing and Administering CIFS/9000 Client manual for info on guestUser.

regards,

Darren
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...