1755772 Members
2807 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cifs server 2.2e v. NFS

Cerney
Occasional Advisor

cifs server 2.2e v. NFS

I can't explain why a program (to list a directory) via NFS (InterDrive NetManage client) works well but fails via Samba.
Our server is an HP-UX B.11.00.U with CIFS Server 2.2e and the workstations are under XP.
We tried to change the case parameters but with no result.
Can anyone help ?

Regards
4 REPLIES 4
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: cifs server 2.2e v. NFS

I'm confused about what exactly works and what fails. Please provide the exact configuration of the working scenario and the failing scenario, including what protocol you're using (NFS or CIFS), what filesystems you're sharing on the HP-UX system, what commands you're using to reproduce the problem, what the expected results are and what the actual results are. If you can explain exactly what is happening then you have a better chance of getting someone to respond with suggestions.

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Cerney
Occasional Advisor

Ok, some more explanations then : we are testing HP Cifs server in order to replace the NFS architecture installed on our HP-UX v.B.11.00 server and our workstations under MS XP with NFS Client InterDrive NetManage v. 7.1.1.
Everything is ok except for an utility program which only works on NFS client workstations. On the few workstations we use to test Samba, this program is not able to list a directory on the share and send us an error (see attachment file).
The support of our software editor told us to modify the case configuration in the smb.conf but it did not change anything.
So i still try to find a solution and some help.
Regards
Cerney
Occasional Advisor

Eureka !
The problem has been solved : i just declare the case parameters (case sensitive = no, preserve case = yes and short preserve case = yes) in the share section instead of the global one, where they were by default, in the smb.conf.
If it can contribute...

Regards
Cerney
Occasional Advisor

(forget to close...see previous post, thanks)