2331 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cmclconfd logs in syslog.

unix adm
Regular Advisor

cmclconfd logs in syslog.

Hi ,

I see allot of these logs at one perticualr time every week.

cmclconfd[2222]: LVML:Querying volume group XXXXXX for node XXXX.

Can anybody please tel me what this log means and how does its all get logged in syslog?

RJ
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Configuration Daemon: cmclconfd

This daemon is used by the Serviceguard commands to gather information from all the nodes within the cluster. It gathers configuration information such as information on networks and volume groups. It also distributes the cluster binary configuration file to all nodes in the cluster. This daemon is started by inetd(1M). There are entries in the /etc/inetd.conf file.

NOTE: You should not disable Serviceguard on a system on which it is actually running. If you are not sure, you can get an indication by means of the command:

ps -e | grep cmclconfd

If there are cmclconfd processes running, it does not mean for certain that Serviceguard is running on this system (cmclconfd could simply be handling UDP queries from a Serviceguard cluster on the same subnet) but it does mean you should investigate further before disabling Serviceguard.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

cmclconfd is started by inetd as a response to a Serviceguard command being run on the server. Serviceguard is not a standard component of base HP-UX, but is installed with HAOE or MCOE versions, ready to respond to Serviceguard commands.

I can produce that message you see by performing certain serviceguard commands such as cmgetconf or cmquerycl -n .

If the cmclconfd message appears predictably in syslog.log, then some automated program is checking the Serviceguard status of the server. Either a cron job or higher-level monitoring software such as Openview is likely the source.
RC Park
Frequent Advisor

Hi, RJ-

Please check the following directory:
/etc/cmcluster

See if you have configuration files in there. By default, serviceguard logs all SG activity here. This makes sense as there are numerous things that can affect your cluster, depending on packages and configuration, so it is to your benefit to have them here. I'm not sure, but I believe in the cluster configuration ASCII file you can specify where ServiceGuard sends log information. Additionally, there are other logs associated with each package - if your cluster was setup properly, you should find package logs in each of the directories that represent a package beneath /etc/cmcluster.

-RCP