1758146 Members
2775 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Conceptual art for propagation of User Answerability

Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Conceptual art for propagation of User Answerability

DISCLAIMER ??? I am not an HP Employee and have no input or influence on Forum Design and Management Issues. This is a discussion document about some concepts that may assist we few, we happy band of Forum Users.

Attached is the fruits of an otherwise idle afternoon, in which I took the issues mentioned in various postings about Points Allocation and Forums Codes of Practice, and asked the question,???

How can we encourage the Users to assign points without requirement for draconian legislation or undue restriction?

The answer,???. Make their points assignment habits visible to them and all others.

I have take a small leaf from VantagePoint???s book, in using colour to propagate a status onto an Icon that can represent an entity, in this case a User of the Forums.

The basic colour scheme I have devised is,

Green = Good (>= 90%)
Orange = Iffy (>= 50%, <90%)
Red or Yellow = Urgent attention (< 50%)

These colours and figures are up for debate (there are much better colorologists and statisticians out there than myself). The statistics would be calculated periodically (every 24 hours?) and roundest to the nearest lowest percentage point of the Postings allocated points vs Total Forum Postings for the User (herein known as Points Allocation Ratio or PAR). This is basically the "User X has assigned points to 88 of 99 responses" expressed as a percentage. Every user would point to a specific Icon based on both their Accumulated Points (for their Hat Icon) and their PAR.

Option 1 ??? Bar Graph
A Colour coded bar showing the PAR to the nearest 10%. It would require generation of 11 possible Icons for every Hat (0-100% inclusive), and the bar would change colour depending on the PAR (90% & 100% = Green, 50,60,70 and 80% = Orange, 0% - 40% = Yellow).

Option 2 ??? Medals
A bit large and garish, but would denote 4 possible colour combinations for varying PARs (These could be split into 3 but I wanted to add some variety in the classifications here). Would only require 4 possible Icons per Hat (Pharaoh, Royalty, Wizard, etc)

Option 3 ??? Colour Coded Shading
This is my favourite. Instead of denoting precise values (to 10%) like the Bar Graph, the PAR colour would be used as shading on the right hand side of the Icon. Only 3 Icons required per Hat (Green, Orange, Yellow) and this would not clutter up the page with multiple Icons (remember, we have the ???HP Employee??? Tag and ???Expert in Area??? Star already).

New Icons
The problem with propagating Status against an Icon is that the newbies (those less than 250 points) need an Icon to hang their PAR status against. With tongue firmly in cheek (and not being one of the affected users myself!) I have also proposed some ideas for a new Icon for those Users who have yet to gain a significant number of points, yet are still keen to participate in these Forums.

So, food for thought? Please let me know what you think of the idea of displaying Points Allocation Ratio, what other forms it could take, and whether we should actively pursue HP in providing enhancements to the Forums that we think would benefit all Users (not restricted to just this topic).

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
22 REPLIES 22
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Conceptual art for propagation of User Answerability

Nice work! You've obviously put a bit of time and effort into this. I like the bar graphs most.

As for the newbies, I say give 'em a free ride until they earn a hat. If anyone is going to participate in the forums to the point of earning a hat, then their point-giving habits ought to be fair game for public dissemination as well. Until then it shouldn't be an issue. Remember, there's about five times the number of registered members as there are members with hats.

Just my $0.02

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Wow.

Interesting stuff Ian.

Take a look at my profile. Three more points handed than answers.

Do we need a graphic for that.

Perhaps an exploding thermometer.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Great idea. I like the Colour Coded Shading the best.

H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

1. I like getting points
2. I like giving points
3. I like the point/hat system

Above said, I fully agree with with Mark that up till the first hat it should be a free ride.

It is still optional. Asigning points is no obligation, so large additional icons are - ehhh - not done, so *IF* the forum chiefs (hi dan :) decide that extra info is appropriate, I'd go for the shadow(s), which looks nice, but does not prominently members as `bad'.

Enjoy, have FUN! H.Merijn

BTW I also have 100+ % and I'd love to see a sun over my desert hat-to-be :)
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

Ian - wow! great work... must be a really slow day :)

I think your idea is great for multiple reasons.
1 - encourages people to assign points (even if zero)
2 - will let responders know if they should watch the post for replys (how active the user is in looking at their own threads) and also if the user has a LOW rating might stop responders from replying - thus encouraging the author to go back and assign points.
3 - it's something else for merijn to keep track of :)

Personally I like the medal or colored circle (or even a traffic light - green/yellow/red)

greap work Ian
All paths lead to destiny
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

I changed my mind... i like the meter (graph) the best.

as for newbies.... I think they should stay hatless until pro
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Ian

You must not be very busy !!

I like the concept and my vote goes for :-

Shaded

Have a great weekend

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Ian,

I think your idea is commendable, hilarious, and unlikely.

It's obviously commendable, given the time, effort and ingenuity you've applied.

It's also hilarious - the nappies and baby bottles got me giggling.

However, it's also highly unlikely. First off, HP will never endorse a "blame and shame" policy. This Forum is strictly voluntary in all ways: questioning, answering, and points assignment. Secondly, despite the fact that I find your neophyte symbols quite amusing, I have to agree with the other comments that they should be given a free ride until they reach the first "real" hat. Giving them a hat of any kind lessens the achievement of those that have put in the effort to attain a real hat. Thirdly, those that have achieved a hat are, as a general rule (there are always exceptions), very likely to have 100% PARs, anyway, so your symbols will tend to be a bit monotonous. Fourthly, the typical "non-point-assigner" signs on to ask his question, get his answer, and logs out. They obviously don't pay any attention to the conventions, suggestions and instructions of this Forum. Why would hanging a color-coded symbol next to their name have any more impact on their behaviour?

While I love your idea and appreciate the effort you've put into it, I'm sorry to say that I think it was wasted. You just can't change people's behaviour that easily.

Thanks for the laugh, though. Cheers!

Pete

Pete
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

Ian - another idea... sorry to flood you.... i'm not too busy today either :)

how about if you are
>=90% you get a halo above your hat

26-50% - something else (can't think of anything
50-98% /

<25% you get devil horns on your hat