108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Controler problem, or what?

Controler problem, or what?

14 REPLIES 14
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Controler problem, or what?

A quick glance through your attachment and I do not find a dev entry that would point to a specific device.

If you have stm loaded, you can browse through the various devices on the system and get a good indication of what is going on.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I agree that there is not an entry in the attached log for any specific device. It does say BUS 2 though. Could this be a problem with the SCSI Card that is Bus 2? Without an entry for a specific device, this is difficultto figure out.

You could try increasing the timeout of all of the drives on your system and see if that helps. You can do this with the command pvchange. pvchange -t io-timeout-value /dev/dsk/c#t#d# I have heard it recommended that you change the io-timeout-value to something like 90. That value is in seconds.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Another thought - Are those errors an isolated incident or does it happen on a regular basis?
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Marco,
Another point is the firmware of the ST34573WC disk. Ensure that the drives have at least HP11 (better is HP14). A ST34573WC with HP05 firmware can be responsible for bus hangs
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Jerry Lindsey
Occasional Advisor

Had a similar problem about 9 months ago on a K380/10.20. Replaced all cables, HSC interfaces, HSC expander, both controllers in the array, firmware was the latest. Still was logging errors. Transferred all the drives, the controllers and memory from the array chassis to a new chassis, and the problem went away. Hope you don't have to go to that similar extreme.

Patrick Wallek,

Responding to your question,

These errors are very often, probably once a month, they are not isolated errors.

Patrick,

By the way, the hard drives are firmware 14
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Marco,
You get just one SCSI reset a month? I wouldn't spend one more thought on it. Once a month is nothing critical!
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

With just one error a month I think I agree with Patrick Wessel. You might try changing the SCSI timeout value on your disks. I have heard from other folks that this does help the SCSI Lbolt timeout.