New Discussion юеВ

Copying DDS tape through FTP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Copying DDS tape through FTP

Hi,

How can I copy the contents (make_tape_recovery for example) of a DDS tape to my windows machine via FTP ? Do I use dd or pax ??
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Copying DDS tape through FTP

What a strange request!

One, on your ux box copy the files to disk:

dd if=/dev/0mn of=file_bootstuff
dd if=/dev/0mn of=file_pax

then using BINARY in ftp, send them or get them to your m$ box

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

first you do a dd on your unix system, then do a ftp.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

As others stated this is a two step process. You need to remove the file from the tape to move it, and it may not be an easy process just because of the amount of space an image takes.

Remember that tape devices are not file systems, and you can only ftp file system data.

Make sure you have alot of disk space and then as others said.

% dd if=/dev/rmt/0m of=/bigdisk/image.bin

Remember that the data dump will be a binary image, and not usable data in this form. Also, your tape may not be /dev/rmt/0m, so check this in SAM.

Then ftp the file to your windows box. The size of this ftp may fail due to timing issues and network errors.

If I were you and I was on a small 10/100 baseT network, I'd do the ftp at night so I dont kill network bandwidth during the day.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I did copy the tape to my system. Harry why it is strange ?? I am trying to copy some make_recovery tapes to CD. My servers don't have a CD burner. So I must transfer to windows where I have a CD burner. I also have a workstation with no tape so it should be able to boot from CD.

I tried this on a newly installed 11.0 (on a K460 with no apps) and the file size is 20.8 MB?? Is this correct? I don't think so?

I read a document on creating customized install media and maybe I will follow the procedure written there.

T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor