1758650 Members
2163 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Development Information for the Visualize FXE

Ed Presutti_1
Occasional Contributor

Development Information for the Visualize FXE

I am interesting in developing a driver for the Visualize FXE to run in XFree86.

I'm currently working with the HP-PA Linux port, which has no Visualize FXE card support.

Does anyone know if this kind of information is available? If so, where I might be able to find it.

This driver would be built for XFree86 v4 and given to the open source community for further development.

I'm not looking to make money or anything, just to make my video card work in XFree86. :-)

Thanks,
Ed
sh -c 'mount -t smbfs //WINOS/c$ /mnt/win; rm -rf /mnt/win/Windows; umount /mnt/win; exit;
4 REPLIES 4
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Ed,

Dive into this link,

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?p=%2A

Good luck (:>)

Robert-Jan.
Ed Presutti_1
Occasional Contributor

Well, there's still no luck there. They have it listed, but there's no information posted about it.

Here's my current curiosity list. Maybe someone can shed some light on these.

#1 ) HP makes a Linux driver for the x86 X-Class workstations, some of which had an FX series card in them. The source is provided for this driver and it's XFree86 v4 compatible.

#1a) The Windows driver has the PCI ID for the Visualize FXE as one of the supported devices.

#1b) If the HP X-Server for Linux supports them, can the code be compiled on PA/Linux legally? I like Linux and all, but i'm not into getting sued over it. :-)

#2) What about placing a second PCI video card into the PA machine to load XFree86 on? Somelike an ATI or an NVidia. The drivers for those cards compiles successfully on UX, i'm just wondering how drastically different that cards would be. I'm almost positive that the PA wouldn't recognize it as a console device, but if I left my FXE plugged in or switched it over to using the serial console, I should be able to start XFree to light up the secondary video card.

Please, no flames for this one. I know it's far fetched, but i'm by no means a hardware architect and am just trying to find someone who might have already tried some of this. (Or someone who knows enough about the FXE to help with a driver!)

Thanks,
Ed
sh -c 'mount -t smbfs //WINOS/c$ /mnt/win; rm -rf /mnt/win/Windows; umount /mnt/win; exit;
Ed Presutti_1
Occasional Contributor

Well, there's still no luck there. They have it listed, but there's no information posted about it.

#1 ) HP makes a Linux driver for the x86 X-Class workstations, some of which had an FX series card in them. The source is provided for this driver and it's XFree86 v4 compatible.

#1a) The Windows driver has the PCI ID for the Visualize FXE as one of the supported devices.

#1b) If the HP X-Server for Linux supports them, can the code be compiled on PA/Linux legally? I like Linux and all, but i'm not into getting sued over it. :-)

#2) What about placing a second PCI video card into the PA machine to load XFree86 on? Somelike an ATI or an NVidia. The drivers for those cards compiles successfully on UX, i'm just wondering how drastically different that cards would be. I'm almost positive that the PA wouldn't recognize it as a console device, but if I left my FXE plugged in or switched it over to using the serial console, I should be able to start XFree to light up the secondary video card.

Please, no flames for this one. I know it's far fetched, but i'm by no means a hardware architect and am just trying to find someone who might have already tried some of this. (Or someone who knows enough about the FXE to help with a driver!)

Thanks,
Ed
Ed Presutti_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,
Ed