2685 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

differencies between C3600 / C3700 Ws & Unix 11i /golden Image

Alessandra Di Paola
Occasional Advisor

differencies between C3600 / C3700 Ws & Unix 11i /golden Image

Hello all,
I wanted to clone a Unix 11i WS model C3700 (reference) to a WS model C3600 by using Golden Image.
I had however an error message referring to /var/adm/sw/products/PHSS_24106/pfiles/iux_postload script due to a "bug" of this tools. Infact I found the reason of the error in

http://www.software.hp.com/SUPPORT_PLUS/docs/HWEnable11i.html
And following suggestion given there I have modified the $PATH entry in the iux_postload script at the *source*-machine and I managed to fix the problem. Therefore I have recreate a golden Image and cloned the C3600.

Now I am however having other troubles with a software from other company.This software is working correct if I install Unix 11i in C3600 from scratch.

My question is: Has "golden image" procedure any otehr known bugs That I should take care of?

Are there any differencies between The WS model C3600 & C3700 so that I cannot clone a c3700 in a C3600?

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Best Regards,
Alessandra

4 REPLIES 4
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: differencies between C3600 / C3700 Ws & Unix 11i /golden Image

Could I ask details on the s/w and what type of problem(s) you are encountering .... since workstations are involved I'm thinking this may be CAD / Xwindows related ?
Alessandra Di Paola
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Alex for your reply!

The UX WS is used to control a system for measurement of device on wafer.

In particular the software check the hardware configuration of the system before running the measurement. The software cannot recognize an hardware part even if these is present and not defected. Under UX 10.20 the HDW is recognized.
Also if I install UX 11i from the
CD-ROM (not using golden image ) the software is working correctly and HDW is recognized, therefore I imagine that "something" in the migration procedure with golden image is lost or not correctly made...

Any idea?
Thanks,
Ale

Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
I don't think it is recommended to install a system image to a different model. One difference between C3600 and C3700 is the processor.
I have tried this a couple of times. Sometimes it has worked, particulary if the only difference was the clock frequence. But in most cases it did non work.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

The only known issue I'm aware of is cured by PHKL_24729 I'd ensure this is included in any golden images -> s700_800 for 11.00 systems etc.

As to ignite on different processors .. the way I understand it is it will detect the difference and automatically regen the kernel so it *shouldn't* cause problems.

Main things to check I guess are you have all the h/w specific patches for the C3600 installed on the C3700

ensure you have the latest ignite s/w rev and associated patches : http://www.hp.com/go/ignite should contain links to this info.