New Discussion юеВ

DNS Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
majid64
Occasional Advisor

DNS Configuration

Hi,

how i can config dns server for a domain name(url) on local network without to need set dns ip on client?

(with set dns ip on client any thing is fine but without it, client can't find dns server and resolve domain to ip)
11 REPLIES 11
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Re: DNS Configuration

Hi,

It is hard to understand your question? Could you elaperate it?

Do you want to setup DNS server ? or Do you want to setup DNS client? or something else?
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
majid64
Occasional Advisor

i setup dns server on 2003 server and add a new ( new HOST(A) ) for exam test.test and x.x.x.x ip,

now if i use that url on other workstation on local network , i must set "preferred DNS server" ip on it so it work and client resolve test.test to x.x.x.x ip

but i don't want to set "preferred DNS server" on client although it's unnatural but i need it.

thanks for your help.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Is your domain going to be public, or is it to be used within your local network only?

If you want to create your own domain names for local use only, you must somehow make your clients use your own DNS server. If no other DNS servers are aware that your domain exists, they cannot refer any related queries back to your DNS server.

If your client is not configured to use a static IP address, it is probably using DHCP. In that case, the DHCP server also gives your client the DNS server address to use. You could solve your problem by modifying the DHCP configuration.

If your domain is going to be public, you should register your domain with the manager of the upper-level DNS server. Usually this is the country-code level: .ie for Ireland. It could also be a sub-domain of a company domain: .yourdomain.company.example.

When an upper-level DNS server knows that a subdomain exists, it will refer any subdomain-related queries to the subdomain's DNS server.

MK
MK
majid64
Occasional Advisor

it's only on local network and all system has static ip.

you say right but it's done by my boss and he say any thing about it.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is it related to windows? In windows only we use to set "Preferred DNS server" settings.

But anyway come to your question with common things in mind

>>>but i don't want to set "preferred DNS server" on client although it's unnatural but i need it.<<<

The only option is, your client should be able to resolve the hostname locally(Local should be /etc/hosts for unix)

Best wishes,

Ganesh.
majid64
Occasional Advisor

we have a local network in my office and users work by owner program and it's a websit, it's not public just local and main url that users work it is www.w2kres.manager.

this domain name or URL not exit on internet and defined by a dns server on 192.168.100.3 but it's unfamiliarity because he not set dns ip on client system and when ping that url , url resolve to ip.

how he did it?
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Which operating system the clients are running?
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
majid64
Occasional Advisor

all client work with xp pro.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This is not the right forum to ask windows XP related issues.

Anyway edit the following file and put the entry like this.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

10.0.0.101 test.abc.com
Best wishes,

Ganesh.