108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dual 100MB ether cards on HPUX 11.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe White
Frequent Advisor

Dual 100MB ether cards on HPUX 11.0

Has anyone run into problems using two 100MB ether cards on any system running HPUX 11.0?
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Dual 100MB ether cards on HPUX 11.0

Hi Joe:

I've run both up to 2 dual 100MB cards on
K-boxes and D-boxes under both 11.0 and 11i without problems. What problems are you seeing and on what platform?

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

There are many systems running multiple 100BaseT cards, particularly in ServiceGuard Clusters. Do you have a specific problem in mind?
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Joe White
Frequent Advisor

We're looking at running dual 100's on A-class boxes. Just checking to see if anyone had ever seen problems. Thanks
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dual and quad LAN cards are just fine. Make sure the driver is in the kernel and treat them the same as separate LAN cards. You can use these to increase bandwidth or fault tolerance with Auto Port Aggregation or simply connect each to different subnets and setup appropriate routing if needed.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
rick jones
Honored Contributor

as alluded to by the discussion of APA, if you want both NICs to be in the same IP subnet, it is best to bind the two NICs together into one virtual NIC with APA. that will give the automagic load balancing of traffic across the two NICs and will give failover.

otherwise, if you want the NICs in the same subnet without APA, you probably need to set ip_strong_es_model to get what most folks seem to want wrt behaviour - traffic out the same NIC on which it entered.

if the NICs are going to be configured in separate IP subnets, there are no issues at all.

ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/briefs/annotated_ndd.txt
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows