Operating System - HP-UX
1758306 Members
2645 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EMS stating instance being set to DOWN as instance was not recognized by any monitor

Troy Blangin
Advisor

EMS stating instance being set to DOWN as instance was not recognized by any monitor

I installed the new patch for EMS (PHSS_23577) and after I installed the patch in the event.log it states for /system/status/memory/49 is != 0 and its current value is DOWN(1). It also says thsi instance being set to DOWN as instance was not recognized by any monitor. I know the memory is fine on my Server but I wondered if there was a way to bring this back to UP without rebooting my Server.

When I installed this patch on my Development server I had all my instances set to DOWN because the instance was not recognized by any monitor. So I just rebooted the machine and all the instances were set back to UP.

I hope I do not have to reboot the server to get the memory set back to UP.

I also tried by using set_fixed and it will not set the memory back to UP.

How do I set memory back to up without rebooting my Server.

Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks and have a nice day.
5 REPLIES 5
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Re: EMS stating instance being set to DOWN as instance was not recognized by any monitor

do you have the EMS message to post up here?
It wouldn't by chance be entered into your /var/stm/data/tools/monitor/disabled_instances file?

Let me know.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Troy Blangin
Advisor

Re: EMS stating instance being set to DOWN as instance was not recognized by any monitor

Hi Chris

I do not have any thing in the file /var/stm/data/tools/monitor/disabled_instances. But there is a file called /var/stm/data/tools/monitor/disabled_instances. OK. Thanks and have a nice day.
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

have you tried bouncing the diagnostics?

/sbin/init.d/diagnostic stop
/sbin/init.d/diagnostic start

Just another thought. Do you have the EMS message to post?

Regards,
Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Troy Blangin
Advisor

Hi Chris

You put me in the right direction with bringing down the diagnostic. I did do /sbin/init.d/diagnostic stop and /sbin/init.d/diagnostic start

Then I went into sam under Resource Management and it said that the monitors were not available. So what I did was I restarted the monitors under /usr/sbin/stm/uut/bin/tools/monitor. I first brought down the monitors that were running and then I brought up disk_em and dm_memory. I then went back into sam under resource management and all the disks were back to up and I did not get the error that the monitors were not available. I then for the memory ran the set_fixed -n /system/status/memory/49 and that seemed to put my memory back to UP. Thanks for all your help.
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Troy,

Well, I'm glad to see that you were able to get your monitors restarted; and without a reboot (I know how the customer hates that!). I'm also glad to see I was of some help. Good luck to you in the future.

Regards,
Chris
It wasn't me!!!!