Jacob Levin
Advisor

encrypted ignite?

Can you encrypt an ignite tape?
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: encrypted ignite?

Absolutely. Now ask the question that you meant to ask. Can you then boot off the encrypted image?
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jacob Levin
Advisor

okay, I guess the real question is, is there a way to create an ignite tape that's encrypted and is bootable?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Normally, encryption is more important in the make_net_recovery environment because the images are online and presumably available anytime. Tape images are not normally as vulnerable because physical security should be able to ensure that bad guys can't get to your media.

One of the fundmental problems is that the machine is very stupid during the boot so there is a limit to how much security could be put into the boot firmware and still leave room for the actual boot code. One of the ways that you can have your cake and eat it too is inline encryption. The idea is that a blackbox is inserted into SCSI bus between your HBA and the tape drive. This blackbox is completely transparent but it encrypts and decrypts data passing through it (although in the strictest sense, it actually enciphers the data).

http://www.avax.com/paranoia2.html
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

... and beware that just cos you could use an inline encrypter for Ignite, doesn't me you *should* - I would want some indication of support from HP before doing this. I suspect the answer will be 'not tested, therefore not supported' - I'd log a call with the response centre to check that out.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo