1759984 Members
2674 Online
108889 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/etc/lvmtab and kernel do not agree

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: /etc/lvmtab and kernel do not agree

Have done asking of those who have been here awhile. Seems that 2 4GB disks were removed from the system before my time. This was done without doing the vgresuce command. Seems that this solution matches what I am seeing. I will be doing the task over this weekend and confirm.

Many thanks.
Ric Bradley

If vgdisplay showsCur PV is greater than Act PV then ghost disks are present. All who said to use:
vgchange -f vgxx
are right. This can be done online without making the vg unavailable.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Hi all:

Did the vgreduce -f /dev/vg30 and it did not work. Still have the CUR PV=6 and ACT PV=4. Still have the other problems as well.

I have read the docs for vgreduce and with the -f option, it describes exactly what I am looking to do but doesn't do it.

Any ideas why it did't work?

Thanks -- Rick
David DeMartini
Advisor

Rick,

What do you mean by other problems? Perhaps a hardware issue is masquerading as a config issue. You might have to crack the case and see 'how' the 2 drives where removed.

Are the drives sleds that auto-select some SCSI ID? Something sounds very odd here. Have you tried to rebuild the kernel?
Actions speak louder than spreadsheets.
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Rick,

Why can't the real live not be that easy as a manual page?
Have you tried to export and re-import the VG?
1) Use: ll /dev/vg30/group to get 0x###### minor number.
2) vgdisplay -v /dev/vg30 to get physical volumes
3) vgchange -a n /dev/vg30
4) vgexport -m /mapfile /dev/vg30
5) mkdir /dev/vg30
6) mknod /dev/vg_name/group c 64 0x0#0000
Re-use minor number obtained from step 1.
7) vgimport -m /mapfile /dev/vg30 pv_name pv_name pv_name pv_name

Activate the vg30 and verify if the CUR PV and ACT PV have the same value. If not, try again the vgreduce -f

I hope this will make it. Otherwise I run out of ideas
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

My next step is to try the vgexport/vgimport. I am thinking that if the mapfile comes out with six devices, I will modify to only have the four. Then import back in.

I am at a loss as well. The man pages state, almost exactly, what I want to do and it is with the vgreduce -f command.

Go figure?
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Rick,

I have seen some cases, that you have to vgreduce twice in succession and follow it up by using vgscan -v to recreate the /etc/lvmtab.
# vgreduce -f /dev/vg04
# vgreduce -f /dev/vg04
# mv /etc/lvmtab /etc/lvmtab.old
# vgscan -v

"Downtime is a Crime."
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi Rick,
Solved your problem?
How many disks have you in this vg? I mean does it match with what you know of, like ioscan results. I once had something of the sort going thru sam, also on a K with 10.20, and in fact it was a misconfiguration to do with in my case of alternate paths not matching properly...(almost like AIX ghost disks).
If I remember right I had to remove all the disks of th volume group:
vgreduce /dev/vgXX /dev/dsk/cYd0s2..
vgremove /dev/vgXX
and start again

Hope It will help
Regards
Victor
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Problem still exists. Been through the vgreduce, vgscan, vgexport/vgimport, etc.
Still exists. The kernel is still seeing CUR PV=6 and ACT PV=4. There are only 4 disks in the PV so the ACT is correct. Also in vgdisplay, shows CUR LV=14 and the Open LV=10. The 10 figure is correct. Somehow I need to find out what the lvols were on the disks that were removed, do the lvremove command, then I believe I can do the vgreduce -f command.

You are correct in that removing the VG and starting over again will solve the problem but I find it hard to believe that thisd would be the only cure.
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

There has to be a better way. Did your vgexport map show 4 devices or 6?

If you do a strings on /etc/lvmtab how many devices and lvols are shown?

Did you specify all four disks when issuing the vgimport?

Did you try doing a vgscan while the vg was exported?