108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Extend File System

vat
Advisor

Extend File System

Dear All,

O/S : HP-UX 11.31

We have two servers which are in cluster and sharing the disk space from EVA.

I have four filesystems which has free space > 60 GB which are on VG02 as below

/dev/vg02/lvol6
/dev/vg02/lvol7
/dev/vg02/lvol8
/dev/vg02/lvol9

I want to decrease this by 15GB each as growth rate is very slow in thease data.

And allocated this 60GB freespace to /dev/vg07/lvol1.

All filesystems are in cluster.

Request you to please guide me for the same.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Nirav
5 REPLIES 5
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Re: Extend File System

Hi Nirav

You didn't mention the filesystem usage , so assuming that the usage is much below 15G.

See the attached file having the steps to perform a filesystem resize and for the cluster, you need to update the chages to other cluster nodes.
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nirav

If lvm uses agile device names in configuration, remember to use -N option in the vgimport command.

Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

for step #4:

> fsadm -F vxfs -b XXXXM /mnt_point

it only works if you have an online JFS license. If not, you have the extendfs command to extend the size offline. But, for reducing, there's no way but re-creating the filesystem from scratch and restore the data from backup.

Check if you have OnlineJFS installed:

# swlist | grep OnLineJFS
B3929CA B.11.11.03.03 HP OnLineJFS
B3929DA 3.5-ga15-01 HP OnLineJFS 3.5
#

Unix operates with beer.
Earl_Crowder
Trusted Contributor

Nirav,

Because the logical volume you want to extend is in a different volume group, this is not a simple task.

Posting output of vgdisplay -v vg02 and vgdisplay -v vg07 would be helpful.

The least effort to add 60GB to vg07 would be to allocate a VDISK on the EVA, and present it to both nodes. vgextend vg07 to use it, then lvextend lvol1.

Earl
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nirav

I didn't notice the lv/vg (lvol1/vg07) you need to extend and to add here- you cannot use the free extends on one vg to extend the lv on another.

If you free up the space, you can- create new lvol/extend existing lvol on vg02 only.

If you can free up & lvreduce one pv from vg02 then you can achieve what you expected(again depends on the pv size which is freed up). Else go for a new lun request with necessary size for vg07/lvol1.

Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik