Operating System - HP-UX
1757848 Members
2718 Online
108866 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Freeze function for MC/ServiceGuard cluster ?

Mattias_2

Freeze function for MC/ServiceGuard cluster ?

Hi,

In Veritas Cluster I have the capability to "freeze" the cluster. Either by a single mouseclick or a command. This way the cluster will run but not take any actions incase of problems, very nice and usefull for example quick maintenance and error solving.
Im almost chocked not to find this function in HP MC/ServiceGuard cluster... Or ? Does MC/ServiceGuard have any freeze
function/command ?

Regards
5 REPLIES 5
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Re: Freeze function for MC/ServiceGuard cluster ?

Hi,
I think you are searching for the following funcionality:

cmmodpkg -d

This will prevent the the package from failing over in case of a failure.

You can refer to "man cmmodpkg" for a more exaustive discussion.

HTH,
Massimo
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There isn't any command in serviceguard that works exactly like freeze in veritas cluster. YOu will need to accmplish it with the combination of these two methods.

1. cmmodpkg -d package

This will disable failover capability of the package. If you do not monitor your package, the above will alone be sufficient.

2. In your package script, you will need to define a 'lock file'. In the monitoring portion of it, you would always be checking for the lock file. If it is there, it won't monitor the services. So during the maintenance, you will simply touch this file and do your maintenance.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Adam Vollmar
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

in SAP R/3 Clusters there is a special debug flag; it is a feature of the 'MC/Service Guard Extension for SAP'. You have only to create a file 'debug' in the directory /etc/cmcluster; then the package-start stops after mounting the filesystems and creating the virtual ip-addresses.
I hope this helps you.

Regards
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

Hello Mattias,

If I read your message correctly, you want a ServiceGuard command that will suppress reaction to ServiceGuard-monitored failures.

ServiceGuard does not have such a feature at this time. If several customers indicated that this feature would have value, I would be happy to present it to the lab for consideration.

-StephenD.
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

# cmmodpkg -d
# cmmodpkg -n
the above disables package switching

# cmmodpkg -e
# cmmodpkg -n
The above enables package switching

We also have a service monitor (bespoke) script, so
watchforfail will trigger failover in the event of a process failure

ignorefail will ignore any process failures.

Regards

Tim
-