Troyan Krastev
Regular Advisor

Re: Full root FS

Hi again,

Some aditional info:
silver:/ # bdf /
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol3 143360 141770 1512 99% /

Output of "silver:/ # du -kx / | sort -rn " is attached!

Thanks for your time!

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What is roots home directory? Is it still / ? I did your du command on my / directory and my largest directory is my .netscape directory. Do you have any . directories on this machine? Here is the output of my du for your reference.
Troyan Krastev
Regular Advisor

Hi Patrick,

I attach output of "ll /". I still believe that it is a opened file that is removed, but I can't find the process that holds this file.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You might try installing and using lsof to see what open files you have on the system. lsof will also tell you what process is using the file.

http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/lsof-4.55/
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

check your crontab as well, this may be a good place to identify specifics that are running. make sure you are not running any scripts that my be looping while tring to write to your somewhere under /
Troyan Krastev
Regular Advisor

Hi Patrick,

I installed lsof as a depot, but it was compiled for 32bit and I had to build it myself. The output of # lsof -a +L1 / didn't produce enything. When I tried #lsof -a +L / in the output in column NLINK I see some big numbers. In HP-UX 11.0 32bit this column is correct???? Check the attached file.

Nothing in cron, Boley!
Troyan Krastev
Regular Advisor

Hi all,

One good and one bad news. The good news is that after reboot the "/" is 25% full :-). The bad news is that I couldn't find what was wrong :-(.

Bill Hassell, send me a message to give you some points. I like your attachmants.
Ovidiu D. Raita
Valued Contributor

It happened to me once. Long time ago ... It was a cron job. I killed cron and I didn't have to reboot.

If it happens again you might want to see if it's cron.

Ovidiu
Simple solutions to complex problems