108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hard configure lan settings

SOLVED
Go to solution
JHL_2
Advisor

Hard configure lan settings

I keep dialing in and (via SAM) see that one of my lan ports is AUTO=ON, FULL/10. I keep setting it to OFF/FULL/100 but I then later keep seeing ON/FULL/10. I've even changed the root password but I keep seeing the change. How can I hard configure this without SAM? I'll change the root password again but ideally I'd like to stick this in a file (instead of SAM) and be confident that it will not change
7 REPLIES 7
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Hard configure lan settings

cd /etc/rc.config.d directory a edit the appropriate config file. ex hpbtlanconf a change the settings to 100 Full auto=off.
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

I ran an ioscan -fnkC lan and found the drive is igelan. So here is my entry for hpigelanconf.

HP_IGELAN_INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan0
HP_IGELAN_STATION_ADDRESS[0]=
HP_IGELAN_SPEED[0]=100fd
HP_IGELAN_MTU[0]=1500
HP_IGELAN_FLOW_CONTROL[0]=1
HP_IGELAN_AUTONEG[0]=
HP_IGELAN_SEND_COAL_TICKS[0]=150
HP_IGELAN_RECV_COAL_TICKS[0]=0
HP_IGELAN_SEND_MAX_BUFS[0]=10
HP_IGELAN_RECV_MAX_BUFS[0]=1
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Look at this page. First you have to find out which lan driver you are using and according to that you have to edit the particular file to make it hard configure.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/components/FileAttachment/0,,0xbdcd94f22a31d6118fff0090279cd0f9,00.htm

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
JHL_2
Advisor

While changed, this only takes effect after re-boot no? After the change, it is indeed this file that determines the configuration of the port? Also, is this the file that gets changed when the entries in SAM are changed or is this file static?
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

While changed, this only takes effect after re-boot no? ** YES, it's usually better with a reboot

After the change, it is indeed this file that determines the configuration of the port? ** YES

Also, is this the file that gets changed when the entries in SAM are changed or is this file static? ** I can't answer that, I have never used sam for network configurations.

BTW, what does changing the root passwd have to do with a lan card setting?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
JHL_2
Advisor

First thanks Harry! Yea, you wouldn't be the first one to suggest I stick with command line changes. As for the password issue, I think the changes are being done in SAM without anyone's knowledge and I'd like to limit who has the ability to get to it.

Thanks again as always for your help.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

iirc, sam will keep a log of what it does - the sam manpage should have more on that.

all sam does/should be doing is editing the same config file you would be and issuing the same command you would be.

and if someone is logging-in as root and running sam, they can run the commands and edit the same files anyhow.

as always, it may be goodness to be up on the latest sam and lan patches...
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows