Honored Contributor

Re: Help me, I am a beginer

Hi maco,

For HPUX 11i,
Insert the CD into CD drive
#mount /dev/dsk/cxtxdx /SD_CDROM
#swinstall -s /SD_CDROM/GOLDQPK11i

For Oracle Appl,
Use adpatch, it is a utility for patching Oracle application.
1. unzip the patch
2. run adpatch to apply the patch

hope this is helpful.
tommy
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As mentioned, this is a VERY difficult task for senior system administrators, so I would strongly suggest getting help in this task. If it is like any other project, it is already behind schedule and the managers think that this is just a plug-and-play task that anyone can perform. While Unix has been around for more than 30 years, system administration and patching are never standardized and companies like Oracle almost never keep their documents up to date. They are full of requirements that refer to obsolete and superceeded patches and in many cases, wrong or missing recommendations for setting kernel parameters.

to be successful, you would need to take about 2-3 weeks of HP-UX classes and then about a month in Oracle classes before even starting this project. Or find a good consultant (perhaps 2, one for HP-UX and one ofr Oracle) and have them set things up and train you during that period.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Just getting the vi keyboard entries down was a struggle for me.

UNIX is so very non-intuitive, very little is standard, always having to refer to the man pages (if you know where to look even in the man pages to find anything), and then Oracle on top of that.

First build the man -k database by doing a catman (this will take awhile).

Then you can at least search the man pages.

You will need to take some basic UNIX and Oracle classes.

Otherwise, you are in for a big frustrating adventure game.

You will either love or hate UNIX, and it takes a few years to start to love it.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com