1754403 Members
2995 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help on APA setup on RX2620 IA64

Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

Help on APA setup on RX2620 IA64

Fresh install of HP 11v3 (Sept 08 Release)
Host as 2 1000BTLAN (onboard)
Host is a Web server providing app access to a Oracle db on another server on same subnet.

Originally setup server without APA, single NIC. Now I want to setup APA for load balancing/failover. Two NICsm eaach wired to a different Catalyst 2950 switch.
Perhaps I may be misinterpreting the Admin guide (J4240-90045)
in first seting up a Link aggregate then a failover group.

I first created the Link agregate, selecting Lan0 and 1 as part of lan900
trying both Manual and LAN_Montior modes. Also set config of netconf to Lan900. HPLM errors on startup "Exiting: No valid Fail-Over Group found in input file /etc/lanmon/lanconfig.ascii
ERROR: lanapplyconf failed"

hp_apaconf has
HP_APA_START_LA_PPA=900
HP_APA_DEFAULT_PORT_MODE=LAN_MONITOR
HP_APA_MAX_LINKAGGS=50
HP_APA_LACP_SYSTEM_ID_MODE=FIRST_APA_PORT
HP_APA_LACP_TIMEOUT=0
HP_APA_USE_SYSLOG=0

HP_APA_INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan900
HP_APA_LOAD_BALANCE_MODE[0]=LB_MAC
HP_APA_GROUP_CAPABILITY[0]=5
HP_APA_KEY[0]=0
HP_APA_HOT_STANDBY[0]=off
HP_APA_MANUAL_LA[0]=0,1

My HP_apaportconf has
HP_APAPORT_INIT_ARGS="HP_APAPORT_GROUP_CAPABILITY HP_APAPORT_PRIORITY HP_APAPORT_CONFIG_MODE HP_APAPORT_KEY HP_APAPORT_SYSTEM_PRIORITY"

HP_APAPORT_INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan0
HP_APAPORT_GROUP_CAPABILITY[0]=5
HP_APAPORT_KEY[0]=0
HP_APAPORT_PRIORITY[0]=0
HP_APAPORT_CONFIG_MODE[0]=MANUAL
HP_APAPORT_SYSTEM_PRIORITY[0]=0

HP_APAPORT_INTERFACE_NAME[1]=lan1
HP_APAPORT_GROUP_CAPABILITY[1]=5
HP_APAPORT_KEY[1]=0
HP_APAPORT_PRIORITY[1]=0
HP_APAPORT_CONFIG_MODE[1]=MANUAL
HP_APAPORT_SYSTEM_PRIORITY[1]=0

The /etc/lanmon/lanconfig.ascii does not define any parameters and running lanqueryconf -s gives me the following:
"No Fail-Over Groups found. ASCII file not created."

Am I missing something in the setup? Is it that I either create a link aggregate or a failover group but not both?

As for the setup, would the above be the best in our situtation given what this host is doing?

Regards
Norm

4 REPLIES 4
Gordon Crone
Frequent Advisor

Re: Help on APA setup on RX2620 IA64

I think that you can have both - "The ability to make link aggregates part of the failover group." But you would treat the aggregate that you have created as one nic (lan900), and now you need another nic to create a fail-over group.

As far as the setup - we use lan_monitor rather than aggregates for similar setups, but it really depends on the traffic. if you aren't saturating one Gig interface, lan monitor is probably all you need.
likid0
Honored Contributor

Hy,

As you say with only to NICs, you can only have or fail over or link aggregate, you can't have both.

If you are more NICs, the you can have your lan900 agregate with another nic or link aggregate to fail over.

But if you hace configured the Two NICsm aach wired to a different Catalyst 2950 switch, the what you what is lanmonitor for a failover.

For using link aggregate you should both nics to the same switch, and take in account the configuration of the switch, so you configure your link aggregate apa port to AUTO/manual,etc.
Windows?, no thanks
steve ma_1

Yes you're right, you cannot have a link aggregate of ports 0 and 1 and then having ports 0 and 1 as members of a failover group.

On your setup, you can have either a failover group for failover OR link aggregation for load-balancing, but NOT both.

If you want to use the link aggregation, the changes you made to the hp_apaconf and hp_apaportconf config file has done that.

If you want to create a failover group from ports 0 and 1, you will need to remove the config stuff from the hp_apa*conf file. Keep only the

HP_APA_DEFAULT_PORT_MODE=LAN_MONITOR

in the hp_apaconf file.

In the lanconfig.ascii file, declare your failover group. There is a sample file /etc/lanmon/lanconfig.ascii.sample to show you how to do this.
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

Removed empty lanconfig.ascii which resolve the hplm startup error.

I now understand that I can't have both given my currnt hardware config.