109068 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How do I mount a UDF DVD on HP-UX 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Hinnen
Frequent Advisor

How do I mount a UDF DVD on HP-UX 11i

Our company creates DVDs in the UDF file format. I was wondering how I would go about mounting that dvd on our HP-UX 11i machine. I tried specifying udf as the file system type and it doesn't seem to like that. Does HP-UX need the DVD burned in a different format? I thought most DVDs were in the UDF format. Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How do I mount a UDF DVD on HP-UX 11i

You can not mount UDF DVD on HPUX system. There is no support for UDF as of now in HPUX.

Maybe the support for UDF would be there in HPUX 11.31

As of now make DVD in the ISO 9660/Rock Ridge format for universal readability.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There are a *LOT* of incompatible CD and DVD formats. The basic CD format is ISO9660 but filenames are all UPPERCASE, 8.3 characters and ;1 version numbers. This is the default mount method for HP-UX. RockRidge Interchange format was created more than a dozen years ago and allowed long file names, mixed case and is also known as ECMA 168 and the POSIX CDROM format. (trivia: Rock Ridge came from the movie Blazing Saddles). PC's adopted a strange format called Joliet that has been quite unportable outside of recent Windows versions. Most PC burning software creates both formats on the same CD to avoid the incompatibilities.

There have also been some mixed mode standards that allow imbedded video that creates problems on older CDROM and audio players. UDF (Universal Data Format) is based on ISO/IEC 13346, aka, ECMA 167. Here is a great start to understanding the Rainbow books and all the CD standards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Books

The problem with UDF is that while it is being embraced by PC-based CD/DVD writers, there is only passing interest in the Unix world (Linux excepted as it has close ties to PC tools). One of the driving reasons for UDF is the proliferation of packet writing programs (often called CD-floppy or drag-n-drop) which does not exist on HP-UX.

For historical interest, HP-UX did not support RockRidge natively until a couple of years ago. During the 90's, there were some hacks like -ocdcase and the PFS subsystem, but none of these were really usable.

Now with recent patches for 11.00 and 11.11 v1, the -orr option now works. I would not expect support for UDF in HP-UX for a long time. HP distributes HP-UX CDROM software in a proprietary format (actually, a violation of the ISO9660 standard) and DVDs are recorded in CDROM format.

As far as what format DVDs are in...format wars have raged since the very first DVD was pressed and they still rage with the various write-once and rewritable formats as well as several data formats. UDF is an attempt to standardize but I wouldn't expect HP-UX support for a long time.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Chris Hinnen
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys...I will see about creating our DVDs with the RockRidge extensions then.

Chris