1754844 Members
4635 Online
108826 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to check the type of filesystem

Mohammad Sanaullah
Frequent Advisor

how to check the type of filesystem

Please ny one can help me out so as i can know the type of filesystem running means whether its online or base, as we can know the name of filesystem by fstype but whether its online or base, how?

thanks in advance
Mohammad Sanaullah
Alive
3 REPLIES 3
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

Re: how to check the type of filesystem

I'm not sure I get you but if you want to know if you are able to utilize Online JFS to modify a filesystem then you can do a swlist and grep for Online JFS to see if it has been installed, if its not there then you can safely assume that you only have a "base" filesystem which basically means any increase in size as such, the file system will have to be unmounted.
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

No one can help you because there is absolutely no difference in the underlying filesystem whether or not you are using OnlineJFS or the standard version. Your question has no meaning. What is different is that some mount options and commands becomer enabled if OnlineJFS is installed and licensed. You can test (at least on later versions of HP-UX) whether or not OnlineJFS in enabled using the vxlicense command. Man vxlicense for details. You can always use the swlist command to see if OnlineJFS in installed (and this works for all versions of HP-UX) but the vxlicense is a more definitive test.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Ronald Schwartz_1
Frequent Advisor

If your filesystem is hfs you can not change it online, you have to unmount it.