108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to create symbolic link permission of lr--r--r-T

SOLVED
Go to solution
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to create symbolic link permission of lr--r--r-T

No Greg, I didn't have no HP spies telling me what to do; it was just a bit of "a priori" reasoning. I knew that the tlinstall executable was able to set the sticky bit on soft links so now the question was how? You also have to understand that ultimately if there ain't a system call for it, UNIX can't do it --- so there had to be one. Now what was it? Well, I knew there were chown() and lchown() system calls and maybe, just maybe, there was an lchmod() to match the standard chmod() system call.

I then wrote a dummy program:
int main()
{
lchmod("dummy",0)
return(0);
}

It compiled and linked so the mystery system call had to exist.

-------------------------------------------

The other answer is that I am actually one of those whacko's who reads the man 2 pages (the system calls) and I may have seen lchmod() somewhere in another UNIX, far, far away ...

---- although I don't consciously remember it.

On the other hand, if them HP spies (or aliens) was good, maybe they implanted that bit of knowledge without me knowing nothing about it.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Great stuff. I suspected noone wanted to lose sleep without a solution.

Thanks...
Greg White
Frequent Advisor

Hi Clay,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I just got in this morning and laughed when I read your answer.
I had to use Google to find out what "a priori" means. After I found out that it is a Latin phrase, I'm beginning to think that your use of terrible English grammar might be intentional. In any event, nobody doubts your knowledge of unix.

Jack, thanks for giving Clay the points. He earned them and made me laugh at the same time.

Regards,
Greg

I know how to do it in pascal.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Greg:

I just saw your last post and I assure you that I didn't go to say nothing terrible about your English grandma. I don't even know her.

At my 10th high school reunion (while I was teaching at a university; not, thankfully, English), I did make a special point to thank my English teacher for learning me to talk and write so good (that's nearly verbatim). I also pointed out that I used sentence diagramming and poetry analysis at least once per decade and thanked her for learning me them valuable skills too.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.