1755756 Members
3097 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX 11.11 non-HP remote printer stair stepping

Rhonda Mokri
Advisor

Re: HP-UX 11.11 non-HP remote printer stair stepping

What I was trying to say is that you didn't include the action you were trying to convey - instead the sentence has two "the's" where I believe you meant to provide an instruction.

We have the need to print both ascii text AND application text which is formatted so your help has been very useful in helping me understand how to go about fixing both problems. Right now we are trying to dredge up a hp jetdirect card to solve the application printing problem for the hp-ux users as they really would like to use the network printers that are mostly laniers.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You probably want an external JetDirect (e.g. JetDirect 300x) rather than a card.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rhonda Mokri
Advisor

Thanks - we will change our search instead for an external jetdirect as I am trying to fix this as simply as possible.

As I am trying to edit the interface file again and follow your troubleshooting tips, would you please clarify your reply created at 19:48:54 "You should the the d* file in the request directory". What should I do to the d* file? delete it?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You should SEE the d* file in the request directory. Do this to verify that 1) the file is being created and 2) that the filename conforms to this:

DIRNAME="/var/spool/lp/request/${printer}"
REQNO=$(echo "${requestid}" | awk -F '-' '{print $NF}')
FNAME=$(ls ${DIRNAME}/d*${REQNO}[A-Za-z]*)

If not then alter the code until it matches the pattern that your lp subsystem generates.

Unless you first disable "yourprinter" then this file will be transferred to the remote host so quickly that you will never see it.
You can then enable "yourprinter" and the normal transfer will take place.

To get rid of any of these files, you can simply cancel the printjob.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.