New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX roadmap

SOLVED
Go to solution
Don Ferderber
Advisor

HP-UX roadmap

Hi ...

Looking for an HP-UX Roadmap (Operating System, and Hardware if possible). Anyone know where I might find one ?

Thanx,
Don
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Don Ferderber
Advisor

Well ...

Not really. I am looking for something that would give me an idea on where HP-UX is going in the next year or so. I am already aware of end of support for HPUX 10.20 on June 30, 2003, but where is 11.00 at in its cycle? Where is 11.i going? Is there a 12.0 in the forcasted future? I am understanding that 11.i is now broken up into multiple versions? How does that work? What is the release schedule like for these? Are they simply HWE's? Will forcasted Hardware only run certain versions os 11.i, and if so, is that "mapped" out somewhere?

Wow... in re-reading what I just wrote, I realize it's a mouthfull, but I hope that clarifies what I mean by "roadmap". Sorry for the verbosity!

Don
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Don:

This provides a bit more insight into the future:

http://www.software.hp.com/RELEASES-MEDIA/history/slide2.html

The parent URL offers links to other "news";

http://www.software.hp.com/RELEASES-MEDIA/

Regards!

...JRF...
Solution

Wow Don, thats a lot to cover!

To be honest, large chunks of what you want to know will be covererd by non-disclosure agreements - the best way to get a detailed update on all this is to talk to your HP account manager, sign an NDA, and get a presentation from them.

That said what are the highlights that we know about?

1. There won't be an HPUX12, it will be HPUX11i v2, v3 etc.

2. While you will continue to see different versions for IPF and RISC for the time being, the two seperate streams will eventually be merged into a single OS version.

3. We know from the roadmap releases published during the merger/acquistion with/of compaq that we can expect to see some Tru64 features such as a clustered journalled file system (non-Veritas) and 'single system image' clustering.

4. We can expect to be able to do 'more stuff' online - 11i already has a host of OLAR functions in it, I would expect these to be refined while also seeing more kernel options becoming dynamically tunable without reboot.

5. Based on past experience we can expect to see regular updates of the HP products based on 'open source' such as ssh, bastille, bind, SAMBA(CIFS), apache etc. I also wouldn't be surprised to see enhanced support for IPv6

6. I also wouldn't be surprised to see more Linux interopability products.

Much more info than that and its NDA time!

Hope this is usefull.

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo