108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite a server with network boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
jamesps
Regular Advisor

Ignite a server with network boot

Is it possible to Ignite a server if the HP-UX running on it is not functional? i.e. I cannot log in or it is network unaccessible because somebody brought down the network interface, etc.
Can I use the GSP to make it boot from the Ignite server and then from there restoring a make_net_archive?
Thank you!
james
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Denney
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Ignite a server with network boot

Yes, what you ask is possible. I have done this before. However, your bootp ignite server must be on the same subnet as your system to restore. Unless, you plan on setting up a "booster" gateway bootp server.

A much easier method is to build a generic bootable tape to connect to the ignite server. make_boot_tape is the command. You then boot your system to be recovered with this generic bootable tape, then connect to your ignite server over the network. Here is the link to the ignite docs:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90872/index.html

regards,
michael
jamesps
Regular Advisor

Thank you Michael for your reply!
My problem is that I don't have a tape and do not plan to use one. I would need to use make_net_recovery archives. Aren't they bootable?
How do I tell Ignite to "wait" for clients to boot keeping in mind that I do not want to use the IUX graphic interface but in command line (scripts)?
I would like to have the client server rebooted/reset using the GSP and then have it booted off of the Ignite server. In my situation I cannot rely on the client HP-UX installation to set boot params or remsh commands to it.
Thank you in advance for your replies!
james.
jamesps
Regular Advisor

solution found