1805 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite doesn't bring back SAN Volume Groups

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite doesn't bring back SAN Volume Groups

Bonjour Jackie,

As previously said by orange, don't deal with inc_entire other than vg00. That would produce a big image and the goal of ignite is not to save aplications and their datas. Just keep something like "make_net_recovery -x enc_entire=vg00 -s YourIgniteServer".

Back to your initial post :

"I then tried to archive the vg00 of another server that also had some volume groups on SAN disks.

The Ignite server created the vg00 archive perfectly.
It was then time to restore it."

--> Where did you restore this image ? On the original server ? Which kind of external storage are you using ? Did you modified something on the storage ?

Eric
jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Eric / Sujit

OK I have an ignite server and I want to make an archive of a client. The client is on the same segment and is succesfully registered in the Ignite GUI on the server.

The client has a vg00 on an internal disk and a few other vg's on SAN disks.

I only want to archive the vg00 which is about 10GB. This I can do successfully. I run "make_net_recovery -s -x inc_entire=vg00" on the command line of the client and the archive is created and stored in /var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/ directory on the Ignite Server.

When I then do a new install for the client (from the server GUI) and select the archive that I just created it restores the vg00 but when I execute bdf on the client once the restore is complete all filesystems in vg00 are there but none of the SAN volume groups have been mounted.

Does this make sense?

j
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Unless you have modified the file /var/opt/ignite/client//control_cfg, or modified storage configuration, HBA in the box, etc ... it has no sense following my knowledge. Please post "control_cfg"

Eric
jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

Here is the control_cfg:

# more control_cfg
RECOVERY_MODE=TRUE
enum _HP_CLONING
_HP_CLONING help_text "Cloning to different HW?"
_HP_CLONING = { "TRUE", "FALSE" }
(MODEL == "9000/800/L3000-6x")
{ init _HP_CLONING = "FALSE" }
else
{ init _HP_CLONING = "TRUE" }

enum _IMPORT_VG
_IMPORT_VG help_text "Import the Volume Group(s)?"
_IMPORT_VG = { "TRUE", "FALSE" }
init _IMPORT_VG = "TRUE"
(_IMPORT_VG == "TRUE")
{
post_config_cmd = "
/usr/sbin/vgimport -v -m /etc/lvmconf/vgdata1.mapfile /dev/vgdata1 \
/dev/dsk/c10t0d0 \
/dev/dsk/c11t0d0 \
/dev/dsk/c6t0d0 \
/dev/dsk/c7t0d0 \
/dev/dsk/c10t0d5 \
/dev/dsk/c11t0d5 \
/dev/dsk/c6t0d5 \
/dev/dsk/c7t0d5
/usr/sbin/vgchange -a r vgdata1

/usr/sbin/vgimport -v -m /etc/lvmconf/vgdata2.mapfile /dev/vgdata2 \
/dev/dsk/c10t0d3 \
/dev/dsk/c11t0d3 \
/dev/dsk/c6t0d3 \
/dev/dsk/c7t0d3 \
/dev/dsk/c10t0d4 \
/dev/dsk/c11t0d4 \
/dev/dsk/c6t0d4 \
/dev/dsk/c7t0d4
/usr/sbin/vgchange -a r vgdata2

test -d /dev/vg00 && /usr/sbin/vgcfgbackup /dev/vg00
test -d /dev/vgdata1 && /usr/sbin/vgcfgbackup /dev/vgdata1
test -d /dev/vgdata2 && /usr/sbin/vgcfgbackup /dev/vgdata2
"}
else
{
post_config_cmd = ""
}

_hp_allow_use_of_imports help_text "Allow use of other disks"
enum _hp_allow_use_of_imports
init _hp_allow_use_of_imports = "NO"
_hp_hide_other_disks visible_if false
_hp_allow_use_of_imports = { "YES", "NO" }
(_hp_allow_use_of_imports == "NO")
{
_hp_hide_other_disks = "0/2/0/0.21.0.239.0.0.0
0/2/0/0.21.2.239.0.0.0
0/5/0/0.20.0.239.0.0.0
0/5/0/0.20.5.239.0.0.0
0/2/0/0.21.0.239.0.0.5
0/2/0/0.21.2.239.0.0.5
0/5/0/0.20.0.239.0.0.5
0/5/0/0.20.5.239.0.0.5
0/2/0/0.21.0.239.0.0.3
0/2/0/0.21.2.239.0.0.3
0/5/0/0.20.0.239.0.0.3
0/5/0/0.20.5.239.0.0.3
0/2/0/0.21.0.239.0.0.4
0/2/0/0.21.2.239.0.0.4
0/5/0/0.20.0.239.0.0.4
0/5/0/0.20.5.239.0.0.4"
} else {
_hp_hide_other_disks = ""
}

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Well,

Every thing is ready in this file to import external VG.

Now, from the box you have just installed with the ignite image, I mean the box where import of vg has failed, post in attachment "ioscan -fkn".

Eric
jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

Eric, Guys,

The problem is that I can't use the ignite GUI on the Ignite server. I have X windows sending back the display to my desktop but it doesn't work when I try to create an ignite archive of my client machine's vg00.

The ignite client has 3 volume groups vg00, vgdata1 and vgdata2. vg00 is on an internal disk while vgdata1 and vgdata2 are on SAN disks.

Can ANYONE give me the command line syntax to be able to create an archive of this machine with all the data in vg00 but also not lose vgdata1 and vgdata2 information?

Sujit gave some command line stuff but it included stuff that I don't think is the right syntax (Enc_entire instead of Inc_entire).

When I run make_net_recovery -s -x inc_include=vg00
it creates the archive. When I go to the Ignite server and launch the GUI and do a new install to the client machine and select the archive I just created (with vg00) it restores is but a bdf on the newly ignited client machine only shows vg00 files systems.

sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Jackie,

That had been a big typo from me.
For your client that is "The ignite client has 3 volume groups vg00, vgdata1 and vgdata2. vg00 is on an internal disk while vgdata1 and vgdata2 are on SAN disks." The command shall be like that

#make_net_recovery -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=vgdata1 -x inc_entire=vgdata2 -s -d

Regards
Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Jakie,

the above command is supposed to crrate all the Image that will have all the data as wel as LVM configuration for all the three VGs that is vg00, vgdata1 and vgdata2.

after that go the client:

1)boot the client from the Ignite Server from the preferred method.
2)YOu remenber choosing /selecting the disks for the Root VG that vg00 at the time of the Ignite Installation of the Client? IN that way only you will need and you shall be able to choose/select the disks (From SAN)for creation of vgdata1 and vgdata2, You can also modify the LV sizes for the LVs in vgdata1 and vgdata2 as in VG Vg00

regards
sujit
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir Jackie,

As previously said in an other thread, I have no many time to answer in forums this week. But I hate giving up a thread ...

As previously said, importing other vg than vg00 SHOULD work properly. The configuration file you have posted is clean.

So if it does not work I can sea some reasons :
- the box on wich you are trying to reinstall is not the same that the original one. That's why I asked you to post output of a full ioscan, and you did not ;-) But anyway, it doesn't seem to be the case
- some configuration has changed in the SAN (san switches, storage area, etc ..) between the moment you took the ignite image and the moment you tried to restore it. ioscan could also shows the differences if any ...
- you storage needs a multipathing solution and the devices you use to create the vg are totaly handled by this software. In this case at ignite time the multipathing layer is not active and in fact vg are not imported.

Did you try to import those vg manually, after ignite time ? It could give some informations that could explain why it did not work during installation. For example, are devices the same ?

Eric
jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

Eric,

The machine I am trying to backup and restore is one and the same. I am the only one logged onto it so nobody is messing around with SAN information between the time I create the Ignite archive and the time that I restore it. Attached is a copy of the ioscan listing.

Sujit you give the command "make_net_recovery -v -x ince_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=vgdata1 -x inc_entire=vgdata2" ....but won't this create a HUGE Ignite archive that includes ALL the data on the entire server? No?

Thanks for all help.

j