1754311 Members
2710 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite image

Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Ignite image

When I create a new system with an ignite image. The new system inherrits the system serial number of the image. How do I correct the new system serial number?
11 REPLIES 11
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite image

I think, you will have to call HP CE engineer.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The ability to read the serial number electronically is relatively new so the question is, what model did you use to create the image and what model is the target. For instance, the old K-series boxes do not have electronic serial numbers so the number must be manually entered.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Both systems are itanium SX2000 superdomes running hp-ux 11.23
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

There are lots of numbers on a server, not sure exactly what you are calling the "serial number".

The actual serial number of the machine does not change when loading the operating system with Ignite. On Itanium machines, the serial number is burned into the mother board.

The command '/usr/contrib/bin/machinfo' will tell you many things about the Itanium server. One of those will be the actual serial number of the unit, labeled 'machine serial number'. This does not change with SW loads.

Can you give us an HP-UX command that displays the number you are referring to?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I'm guessing he's using "getconf MACHINE_SERIAL". As Bill states, only the newer machines have this capability.

Pete

Pete
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

On Itanium
- getconf MACHINE_SERIAL
- /usr/contrib/bin/machinfo | grep 'machine serial'

return the same value.
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

The machinfo command returns the serial number of the machine the image was made from and not the current machines serial number which is located on the front of the Superdome bottom left. I need to change the serial number on HP-UX to reflect the correct hardware serial number.
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

This is not my experience. I am still not sure that were are talking about the same "serial number".

The 'machinfo' command spits out many numbers. Attached is some output from my machine.

Some items that are burned into the motherboard are
"Platform info:
model string = "ia64 hp server rx5670"
machine id number = 9e2c0ecb-7a1a-11d7-941f-367f7418e858
machine serial number = USR4313Fxx
"

The last item there, 'machine serial number', should match the tag on the oustside of the machine. That should be the actual serial number used for support contracts, etc. Ignite cannot change this.

Now if this dome is partitioned, you would see the same serial number on vPar or nPar partitions within the same dome. That would be normal.

If running a Itanium Virtual Machine, the serial number changes to VM00xx00xx or similar, but is unique to that machine.

If you still truly think that Ignite somehow altered the serial number, I would contact HP support on this.
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

I attach the machinfo from the two machines herewith. Pcap05 is an image build off pcap04. Is there no way to change the serial_number in HP-UX?