New Discussion юеВ

Ignite UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Ignite UX

Hi (again) Carla:

You do not need to do anything special to run 'make_tape_recovery' to create a recoverable image of vg00. The few files that should be actively changing while Ignite runs should be log (information-only) files, assuming that you are not archiving non-standard files and directories. Remember, the copy mechanism used by Ignite is nothing more than 'pax' (tar's cousin) and as such has no "intelligence" or like 'fbackup'.

At most you may note some warning messages from the Ignite process describing non-existent files. This is often seen. These are files that were present when Ignite first created a list of files to archive, but were removed before Ignite's 'pax' copy could process them.

Regards!

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi (again) Carla:

I just saw your additional post. A server with one volume group (vg00) containing appliation data is a server I would rebuild immediately!

From a recovery, a backup, and a performance perspective, I would most certainly want a segregation of operating system and application.

In the interim, you can use the *exclude* option to exclude the application data from your recovery. Add:

-x exclude=file|dir

...to your Ignite 'make_tape_recovery' command.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dario_1
Trusted Contributor

Carla:

Select the volume you want to include in your backup with the -x include=volumegroup then as Pete mentioned, use -x exclude=directory or file to exclude what you don't want to include.

Regards,

Dario
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Carla,

James has it covered up above... my comment regarding the database issue was because I was thinking in terms of my environment. My OmniBack database exists on VG00 and needs to be down when doing a make_tape_recovery.
I've done make_tape_recovery's while users are on the system and have not had any issues.

Jim

Hindsight is 20/20
Dario_1
Trusted Contributor

Correction. Was JAMES who replied not Pete. I got confused with the salad. Sorry James.

Dario
Carla Breuer
Frequent Advisor

Thank you James, I have been screaming that since the box was delivered. Sometimes all you need is somebody to concur outside the office. Finally, the powers that be are going to make the vendor fix this.
Carla Breuer
Frequent Advisor

Ok, so if I wanted to exclude more than one directory for example /ACCT and /PAYROLL how would I list these in the command. Would I separate the directories with a comma /ACCT, /PAYROLL or just spaces? Apparently we only have to physical disks and were are using mirroring therefore we were told we could only have one volume group. Does this sound right?

Thanx,

Carla
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Carla:

To exclude multiple directories, specify multiple '-x exclude file|dir' arguments.

While mirroring is implemented at the *logical volume* level, not a physical disk level, to be effective, you don't want mirror copies to reside on the same physical volumes. The 'strict' allocation policy established when you 'lvcreate' a logical volume controls the enforcement of this. Hence, to mirror the logical volumes of vg00, you need *two* physical disks. I can only guess that you don't have enough disks to mirror both vg00 and your application data. Disks are cheap compared to data loss and/or lost performance.

Regards!

...JRF...