108833 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: integrating eva volumes on hpux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Otto Folprecht
Advisor

integrating eva volumes on hpux

OK, I have an eva 5000 and a unix box 7410. I know how to create vdisks in the eva but after creating the disks how do I know what are my eva disks in ioscan -fnC disk. What is the procedure to mount eva disks/volumes on a unnix platform. I think that is the question that I am asking. THX Otto
7 REPLIES 7
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Otto,

You need to install Securepath on hp-ux hosts in order for you to see the EVA vdisk in ioscan output. Securepath is multi path software that manages alternate links in hp-ux.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/sanworks/secure-path/index.html

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Otto Folprecht
Advisor

No we do not have securepath as that is not required to have access to the eva, we still can see the eva as the FC is attached to backplain of the rp7410. If i do a ioscan i do see the domain were the disks reside, and i dont care which path I use as both paths can be treated as primary or secondary, my question im trying to focus on the procedure on creating the disk and resenting the volume to the community. THX Otto
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Otto,

It is true that you need not have Securepath to access EVA Vdisks. But in that case you should have only one FC HBA connected to the EVA and must configure proper zoning in teh switch such that the hosts see the Vdisk through only one path. If you have not already done please have a look at this whitepaper,

http://whitepapers.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025945,60043254p-39000571q,00.htm

If neither securepath is installed nor zoning is configured then you will still be able to see the EVA vdisks in the ioscan output as hardware paths but will not be able to see the device files associated to them (/dev/dsk/cxtxdx) and hence you will not be able to configure VGs/LVs.

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

If zoning is properly configured then in the ioscan output (ioscan -fnC disk) the EVA vdisks will be listed something like this,

disk 15 255/255/0/0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HSV100 HP
/dev/dsk/c26t0d0 /dev/rdsk/c26t0d0

Now you can use LVM commands to create VGs and LVOLs.

-Karthik S S
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Karthik has got this pretty much wrapped up. I just wanted another voice in here to confirm that if you want any kind of flexibility here, you really should have securepath.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

You dont have to have SecurePath. Just zone in the EVA, present your disks to either one or >1 fibre card (if you want alternate links) then pvcreate -f, vgcreate, vgextend, lvcreate just as normal.

Agreed, its nice to use SecurePath, but you dont have to install it.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Tom Koithan
Occasional Contributor

Given a single HP-UX server with two HBAs connected to an EVA5000 via a pair of McData switches, is SecurePath required?

This is with 64-bit HP-UX 11.0 with the standard LVM.

Will we get path failover without SecurePath? Will we get load balancing without SecurePath?

Thanks!
.../Ed