108829 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IO Timeout and Powerpath

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

IO Timeout and Powerpath

How do I change the IO timeout param with emc powerpath installed. Tried pvchange -t but it comes back with:
pvchange: Physical voulume :/dev/dsk/c4t0d0" could not be changed:
No such device or address.

pvdisplay /dev/dsk/c4t0d0 has no problem in listing the parameters.
21 REPLIES 21
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Re: IO Timeout and Powerpath

This will happen if the pvchange process times out.

Check your Powerpath version. You may have to update it.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

The Powerpath version is HP.4.3.0 I beleave it to be pretty resent. Also the pvchange command fails immediately. No delays
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Have you made any changes on the EMC and if so have you tried a reboot and the pvchange again? If changes are made, the disk driver may no longer be communicating so the disk looks like it's not there.

If this does not help, someone in the Response Center can help you if you open a call.

They need to analyze an lssf, ioscan, a pvdisplay, diskinfo -v, look at the drivers in the kernel (specifically scsi drivers) and if there are any associated messages in syslog. There are some internal tools they can provide you that can help analyze the situation as well.

"Downtime is a Crime."
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

What I would like to know is weather anyone tried to change the io timeout paramater while powerpath is installed. I have just been recommended to change the value from default to 90 seconds (by emc grab). The system is behaving normally and I do not want to spend time on this.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

can You supply the full command and output, and also a lssf /dev/dsk/c4t0d0 and lssf /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0 ?

To answer Your question: I never tried it in a power path config, for we only use pvlink on our hp-ux boxes. You should clarify with EMC^2 if You really need to set it - in my experience it's crucial in Clariion/CX + pvlink environments and close to irrelevant with PowerPath and i.e. DMX.

OTOH the default of 30 seconds is a bit short for hot-wiring fibre links ;)
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
john kingsley
Honored Contributor

Yes, I was able to change the timeout value on my physical volumes, and I am running powerpath ver. 4.2. EMC reccomended a value of 180 sec. I'm not sure if it maters, but check to see if you are running pvchange on the primary path.
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Thanks everyone for the interest so far. I am attaching a file of what I did.
john kingsley
Honored Contributor

Do you know where the dead path came from?
It can be removed by running:
powermt check dev=path

OFC_EDM
Respected Contributor

Regarding the "no such device or address".

We used to have similar issues when adding LUNS.

But now before we do anything with the EMC disks we do the following:

1. powermt check
--> if it prompts to remove dead paths we remove all.

2. If adding LUNS we create them and assign them to the host at this point via Navisphere.

3. ioscan -fnC disk
4. insf -C disk
5. powermt config
6. powermt save
7. Then we review everything with powermt display dev=all and make sure it matches up with Navisphere.

This is only loosley related to your issue in that we do this to ensure dead paths are removed and that the devices you see with pvdisplay really exist.

Cheers.
The Devil is in the detail.