Operating System - HP-UX
1754984 Members
2483 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ioscan/insf not discovering devices (MC/SG)

David Child_1
Honored Contributor

Just an update on this in case anyone runs into this problem.

In the end the problem was a bug in the EMC WideSky code. It was hard to determine because the problem was not consistent. Some hosts would see the newly assigned storage while others would not. The EMC WideSky code in question was version 5.1 on the host where the VCM database updates where made.

Basically there is a bug in WideSky 5.1. When you make changes to the VCM database via 'symmask' commands (or via ECC) on a DMX Symmetrix, ioscan on the host where the LUNs were assigned does not pick up the new LUNs.

To fix this problem, upgrade WideSky on the Symmetrix agent host (where ECC Symmetrix is running or you run 'symmask' commands from) to version 5.3.

David
Daryl Much
Frequent Advisor

I ran into a similar problem also, having to reboot to acquire new emc luns. one work around for us was to use rad to disable/enable the fc adapters, first one then the other. powerpath was not bothered by the brief disconnection to one path and I doubt if pv links would care either (but it should switch links). here's the sequence of commands I used:

ioscan -fnC fcp #get the path of the fibre cards
fcp 3 0/0/8/0/0.97 fcp CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP Domain
fcp 2 1/0/6/0/0.33 fcp CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP Domain

rad -q #get slot associated with path
rad -s 0-0-0-1 #suspend driver on the slot
rad -o 0-0-0-1 #power off the slot
rad -i 0-0-0-1 #power on the slot
rad -r 0-0-0-1 #resume the driver
insf -v #install the device files
David Child_1
Honored Contributor

In the end the problem was a bug in the EMC WideSky code. Please refer to my second to last post for details.

Thanks,
David