Operating System - HP-UX
1757728 Members
2273 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

It's not possibly to log in when the root file system is full (Trusted Mode)

Augusto Vinhaes
Frequent Advisor

It's not possibly to log in when the root file system is full (Trusted Mode)

Hi all !

I've got some machines in Trusted Mode and I discovered that nobody can log in when the root file system is full (including the root user). I tried the console but it does not work. I'm thinking about to create a new file system for /tcb but I don't know if I will have problems when booting in single user mode.

Regards,
Augusto Vinhaes
(Intelig Telecomunica????es)
Augusto
17 REPLIES 17
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Re: It's not possibly to log in when the root file system is full (Trusted Mode)

Hello,

I think that you first and foremost endeavor is to determine what is causing your / to fill up and then fix that, whether it being to create a separate filesystem for a given application, redirect output files to another location, etc.

When you boot into single-user mode, only / and /stand is available right away.

Hope this helps

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Peter Kloetgen
Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's not possibly to log in when the root file system is full (Trusted Mode)

Hi Augusto,

first thing you should do, is to find out what has filled up your root filesystem! Have a look for big files :

find / -type f -size +1000 -exec ls -l {} \;

look for a bad backup try with a wrong device file.... Is there anything in /dev, which is not normal? Look for something like:

/dev/rmt/o (wrong name for tape device...)

To get into single user mode, use:

(escape boot sequence, interact with IPL, and then:)

IPL> hpux -is

Allways stay on the bright side of life!

Peter
I'm learning here as well as helping
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

That's why it's important to keep user crap out of the root filesystems. post a bdf and maybe we can help you create a better fs structure.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

I have to agree with Christopher - the problem is that the root filesystem is filling up. This should be a VERY rare occurrence. Make sure you are not writing data to one of your mount points in /.
Augusto Vinhaes
Frequent Advisor

I know that it's not common to have the root fs full and it should not contain files that belongs to applications, but what can I do when it is full ? The console doesn't work.
Augusto
Fragon
Trusted Contributor

By your "I tried the console but it does not work", did you mean you can not use your console now?
I think you can use web console or lan console and login as single user mode. Then remove some large useless files first. Of course now the God will smile!

Live as you wish!
ux
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

When this happens, generally a reboot is all that works. Boot into single user mode and remove the offending file.

Folks shouldn't put things in /, that file system isn't designed to change significantly. However, a common problem I see is daemons with / as a working directory that dump core into / - thus filling up /. Very aggravating.
Fragon
Trusted Contributor

Hi Augusto, can you dial-up to your server by using HP-supported modem? This can also lead you to single user mode.

ux
Augusto Vinhaes
Frequent Advisor

I agree with Christopher, I've got some daemons that are running with the root user and I can't change them. So the core files are always on /.
Augusto