1763607 Members
3429 Online
108913 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: jetadmin

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

jetadmin

I have an rp3440-4 that came with HP-UX 11.23 installed. What is the latest best way to install printers on the server? I have been using Jetadmin for the past 10 years or so but I was wondering if there was anything else out there that I could use. Other wise I need to find the link to Jetadmin so I can download it.
The reason I am asking if there was something else besides jetadmin is that I install other printer other than HP printers and would like to be able to install them with their drivers not some HP knock off driver.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The replacement is JetDirect. You execute 'hppi' rather than 'jetadmin' but you should feel right at home.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_query=jet+direct+printer+installer&h_tool=software&h_lang=en
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Which other printers?

Xerox? Lexmark?

Xerox printer require the installation of Xerox print drivers:

cd /usr/local/src/xerox
tar xvf HPUXXPXX_3.01.48.tar
cd HPUXXpxxInstall
touch /tmp/iprprt.lock
tail -f /etc/cmcluster/IPRPRT/*.log
./setup

File downloaded from:
http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?Xlang=en_US&XCntry=USA&prodID=DC440&ripId=

To add a printer you must use the Xerox printer installer: xpadmin

The Lexmark driver package must be installed first.

The file to download from http://drivers.lexmark.com/ is DRIVERS-HPUX1X.PKG.Z

uncompress it then swinstall it.

It will install "Lexmark Enhanced Printer Drivers Package" and "Lexmark Screen Fonts Package". After completion, run: /opt/lexmark/setup.print (use the default of bin for Administrative group, and install fonts as an additional font directory.

Then use lexprt program to add queues.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

HP-UX doesn't use drivers for printers. In it's simplest form, the lp spooler runs a printer script that simply copies the print job to the printer. These scripts also add a few options that control things like duplex and landscape mode. So unlike Windows where the driver can be many megabytes of highly specialized code, printer scripts are fairly simple.

As mentioned, hppi (HP Printer Installer) is the replacement for jetadmin. But jetadmin was obsolete in 1999 as it was not Y2K compliant and was obsoleted by hppi.

The very best way to install printers with JetDirect cards or external JetDirect boxes is the same for both jetadmin and hppi: addqueue, like this:

addqueue -h 12.34.56.78 -q my_prn

The addqueue command is found in /usr/hpnp/bin (for old jetadmin code, the directory is /opt/hpnp/bin) and makes printer maintenance very simple.

For non-HP printers that are connected with an HP JetDirect external box, addqueue -l shows all the scripts including the generic ones which can then be customized if needed.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin