1758669 Members
3566 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Line Printer not including Form Feed at end of prints

Joe Robinson_1
Occasional Advisor

Line Printer not including Form Feed at end of prints

After changing a line printer from a serial printer to one utilizing a HP Jet Direct (HP EX Plus) device, the printer now won't put a form feed at the end of the print.

I've checked another of my interface files (I used diff to check between the two, with the only differences being the IP address). I'd appreciate any suggestions the wisened wizards (or any other royalty...I'm working on it!) might have.

Thanks,

Joe Robinson
Sys Admin
Oregon Army National Guard
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Line Printer not including Form Feed at end of prints

Hi Joe,

One easy way to do this is to modify the
interface file for your printer.

as an example, we will use printer 'myprinter'

cd /var/spool/lp/interface

There will be an interface file 'myprinter';
edit it and locate a loop which calls hpnpf
and modify it.

The idea is to build a temp file containing a FF and cat the regular file + the temp file to the hpnpf (JetDirect) filter. When done, you remove the temp file. The attached script does just that.

Regards, Clay

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe

There is one more way to do it , at the end of the data file to be printed try adding cntrl L which will get translated as form feed when put to the printer interface.You can try just by printing a file containing cntrl+l .

Manoj Srivastava
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Very important: JetDirect scripts in the interface directory are generic and only handle the LAN process. The 'real' script is located under the interface directory in the model.orig directory. This is the script that controls the printing behavior of the print job.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin