2991 Online
109069 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Login fail - delay in getting prompt back

Abhik Sarkar_2
Advisor

Login fail - delay in getting prompt back

Hi,

A customer of ours has 4 HP-UX 11.00 boxes. On all of them, when I FTP or telnet, I get the username prompt fairly quick. But, if I enter the wrong password, one box takes a long time to give me back the prompt. This is causing delays in some automated FTPing that happens regularly.

Based on some searching I did in ITRC, I checked the nsswitch.conf file and found that the server in question, is the only one to have it. The only entry in it is:
hosts: files

The systems don't use DNS, and all the other nodes are fine.

I tried removing the file, and also tried adding the following line:
passwd: files

But, nothing helps. There is always a delay of 3-5s between giving a (wrong) password and getting back the prompt.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Abhik.
6 REPLIES 6
nanan
Trusted Contributor

You'd better check security level
you may use enhanced security level.
you can change login delay time with sam
Abhik Sarkar_2
Advisor

Nanan, thanks for the suggestion. I checked and found the system is not setup as a trusted system... hence I can't change the parameters you suggested.

However, there seems to be something wrong with the system. I added the parameter -v to ftpd in inetd.conf and did a inetd -c to see some more information in syslog.log, but found that something is wrong with logging since the Jun 13. Log entries seem to be jumping around in time...

Last few lines of syslog.log
Jun 13 10:55:05 alkw_p cmcld: Unknown Resource data type 0.
Jul 25 02:53:54 alkw_p vmunix: 10/8.15 tgt
Jul 25 02:53:54 alkw_p vmunix: 10/8.15.0 sdisk
Jun 13 10:55:05 alkw_p cmcld: Resource /net/interfaces/lan/status/lan0 is assumed to be unavailable.
Aug 1 10:19:55 alkw_p syslogd: going down on signal 15

I restarted syslogd, but again, I get an entry from Jun 13th!
alkw_p:root> tail -f syslog.log
Aug 1 10:20:00 alkw_p syslogd: restart
Jun 13 10:55:05 alkw_p cmcld: Resource /net/interfaces/lan/status/lan0 in package alkw_p_lan does not meet RESOURCE_UP_VALUE.

Does the system need to be rebooted? I have checked all the filesystems and they have free space.

Thanks,
Abhik.
nanan
Trusted Contributor

Your system maight have a problem in lan0
Try to
cmviewcl -v
it looks like to show you some clues for the problem.

If your system configured with MC/SG, you can fail-over the work on failty system to memner system

and check network cards with "netfmt"
Use man netfmt

Abhik Sarkar_2
Advisor

Nanan, thanks. I already checked cmviewcl output and all packages are up, including the one which monitors the LAN cards.

I believe the command to use for checking LAN interfaces is lanadmin, and netfmt is to format the output of nettl.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe the LAN card is the issue... and needs to attention.
D Heindel
Occasional Advisor

Abhik,

I am having the same issue on an 11.23 box. After an invalid login it takes a few seconds before displaying the next login prompt. It is not a trusted system and I have tried changing the /etc/nsswitch.conf to passwd: files. Have you been able to figure out what was causing the delay on your system?

Thanks,
Derrick
Abhik Sarkar_2
Advisor

Derrick,

Sorry, but nothing yet... but, in general this system seems to be in a mess anyway. It's not logging to syslog either. There were earlier suggestions to check the LAN interfaces, but that seems OK too.

If I find the cause, I will post it back here. If you find something, please do the same.

Best regards,
Abhik.