108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LVM and VG00 Problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Mancini
Occasional Contributor

LVM and VG00 Problems

A disk within vg00 has to be replaced. There are 2 logical vols on it (or rather parts of lvols on it). They are part of /opt and part of swap.

All documentation I have found, seems to indicate shutting down, changing disk, booting to single user, then vgchange vg00, restore the lvols and reloading data from tape.

How can the system boot to single user if it won't be able to initialise swap when booting?

Does swap count a boot disk or just a root disk?

Any help would ge great.
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: LVM and VG00 Problems

Tony,

Is your primary swap on that second disk or is it additional swap?

Also, do you have a recent make_tape_recovery?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Tony Mancini
Occasional Contributor

Hi Harry,

Its got primary swap on it, and I have multiple ignite recovery tapes.

The way I was going to do it is:
1. Shutdown
2. replace disk
3. Boot from tape
4. Select the install vg00 option from the ignite menu that is displayed

What worries me, is surely the broken disk needs the lvols restored etc?
Jean-Louis Phelix
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Is your disk already out ? I don't think so, because it would be already down with swap on it. I can see 2 easy solutions :

- backup your system using make_[tape_]recovery, change the disk then restore your Ignite Image

- if you have a free slot, had a new disk, vgextend your vg00 and pvmove lvols from BAD disk to new disk, then vgreduce

Regards,

Jean-Louis.
It works for me (┬й Bill McNAMARA ...)
Tony Mancini
Occasional Contributor

No the system isn't down. When we last had a power outage the system hung at configuring swap at boot time. The system did eventually boot though after it did a scsi-reset.

We have been told to get the disk changed even though it is running fine now. I guess the disk is OK when spinning, but if we were to power cycle again, it may not come back next time.