Operating System - HP-UX
1754304 Members
3226 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Make Recovery tape doesn't restore proper permissions on files.

fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Make Recovery tape doesn't restore proper permissions on files.

All

I am running the new make_recovery command listed below:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a ${BKUP_TAPEDRIVE} -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_cross=/home

This command is all part of a master script that we wrote to perform make recovery tapes. The problem here is that when we used an ignite_ux tape recently to recover our workstation (C3600) the permissions for most of our directories and files were changed, certain scripts that executed in cron jobs could not run because the execute permission was removed from the file.

Just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this as I have been led down the path of righteousness that ignite_ux will backup and then restore your system in the same state.

PS. I am attaching the script for all to see and use for their own needs.

5 REPLIES 5
fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Make Recovery tape doesn't restore proper permissions on files.

Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hi Frank,

When you recovered the workstation, did you boot and recover from the ignite tape? I've never seen a problem doing that but who knows?

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

If you are restoring the same system that the tape was created on, then you system should have everything available as of the time the tape was made with the proper permissions

'tar' or 'pax' can be used to extract files from a make_recovery tape. This is not fast, but here is the syntax:

# mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
# tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0m

-USA..
Good Luck..
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What version of Ignite/UX are you using? The first thing I would do is download and install the latest version (3.5.89 I think), create a tape and restore a system and see if you still get the same behavior.

The only other thing I can think of is to look at the contents of the make_tape_recovery tape itself and make sure that the files are getting stored on the tape with the correct permissions.

fg_1
Trusted Contributor

All

I am running version B.3.4.115 of ignite_ux.

I created the tape on the same system that I am using for restore. This is our policy, we do not create tapes strictly based on model but on a per system basis.

I read the tape with the mt move and the tar read of the tape, the files were written to the tape with the permissions correctly established but did not come back with the sam e permissions.

I know this is a strange one but it's got both me and the boss puzzled.

We are possibly going to run another mk_recovery and rebuild this weekend.