New Discussion юеВ

Re: Making Slave as Master in NIS

SOLVED
Go to solution
susee_sundar
Regular Advisor

Making Slave as Master in NIS

Hi.,

I know that in NIS .,when Master Goes down then Slave server will provide service to clients request..

1. But if I am having More than 1 slave server is there any priority for the slave to take over..

2. How can I make one of the Specified slave server as an alternate master incase of master Fails....

Surya...
5 REPLIES 5
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor
Solution

1. The clients will take the maps from whichever slave they manage to contact first. This may differ from client to client.

2. vi /etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs on the new master. Set NIS_MASTER_SERVER=1. Make sure your YPPASSWD_OPTIONS are set to the NIS passwd file.

3. Run ypinit -m on the new master.

4. Run /sbin/init.d/nis.server start on the new server.

Please note that sections 2 - 4 only need to be carried out if your master fails.

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
susee_sundar
Regular Advisor

HI .,

If we want to make the slave server as Master....Manually...the comment is right

But is there any way to happen it automatically
....such when the master goes down the assigned slave server becames Master automatically without any command...

Suggest....
Surya..
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,
It's not simlpe to convert NIS-SLAVE to NIS-MASTER. In order to do this you need to have updated copies of all files (passwd, group, hosts etc) on SLAVES or one SLAVE and to build master when needed, but the harder part is to switch the rest of SLAVES to the new master.

BTW, why do you need this ? If the service is critical, try to use Service Guard.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
susee_sundar
Regular Advisor

Hi.,

I accept Your Words that it is A Tough task to Convert the remaining Slave Servers to Respond to the New master...

Thanks a Lot For Every Body replies to my Query

Surya...
susee_sundar
Regular Advisor

Thx to All