3431 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

max_thread_proc

thiagesh
Occasional Advisor

max_thread_proc

Hi all,

I'm in the process of investigating to reduce oracle processes memory on hp-ux 11i v3 and my db version is 9i R2.

I just want to know whether by reducing the kernel parameter max_thread_proc to 256 (as recommended by oracle) from 1100 (Current value set), will solve the proble. I know that this parameter defines the max. no. of kernel threads allowed per process.

Always all oracle processes consume more than 120 MB. My sga parameters are all well defined. System performance is very slow when vmstat shows free memory below 100K.

Oracle processes (especially user processes) consuming more than 100 MB is default in oracle 9i R2 64 bit on hp-ux 11i V3 64 bit os?

Appreciate quick responses.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: max_thread_proc

I would assume you would be saving nothing. Currently oracle processes don't use threads so whether the limit is 256 or 1100, shouldn't matter.
thiagesh
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dennis,

Thanks man. So u mean to say that oracle 9i R2 on hp-ux will consume more memory?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>So you mean to say that oracle 9i R2 on hp-ux will consume more memory?

(Not really. Compared to what? ;-)
Is this PA or Integrity? There is an increase in the latter.

I was just saying that changing max_thread_proc would have very little effect. Unless they are java processes and sense when you give it more and then go crazy. :-)