108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: media for the heartbeat connection in SG

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

media for the heartbeat connection in SG

I know that I can use crossover cable for heartbeat communications between two nodes in SG, assuming it'd be copper LAN card, and RJ 45 port.

Now, can I use Fibre Channel Gigbit card, and bibre cable for the same purpose of the heartbeat communication?

Please advice,
none
9 REPLIES 9
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Yes - you can use fibre gig for heartbeat.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Geoff,

To be specific, I have A6847 Fibre Gig lan card, I'm going to use Fibre cable to directly connect these two nodes .Is this right?
none
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Hanry,

Seems like somewhat of a waste to use Gig-E for heartbeats, but you can certainly do it.
Just remember to hook the Tx of one to the Rx of the other if you're directly connecting them.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

I thought you only have one way to plug the cable in the port, otherwise, it won't fit?
none
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

No - both sides of the connector are identical.
It may be that you have a "caddy" that forces the left/right orientation, but it can be removed & the fibres oriented as you wish.
But I also "think" that the Gig-E fibre spec allows for auto-sync anyway, so it may not make a difference.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Just thought I'd mention - that "cross over" cables between nodes isn't really supported by HP.

It is best to plug into a switch (well - for rendundacy - 2 switches).

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.

Hi,

I will advised you to have a pair of redundant heartbeat communication. It can be a Ethernet or FC, depends how would you manage with the cost. FC is always better and reliable. If u have multi cluster environment go with redundant switches instead of cross cable connectivity.

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Note that starting in A.11.16, Fibre Channel is not supported as a data or heartbeat lan:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B3936-90079/ch02s02.html
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Fred.Wu
Frequent Advisor

Sure , giga-bit NIC do work for heartbeat, but I just think it's a waste, since signal transfered on heartbeat network is quite a small package, 10/100M is enough for it.
fred