a) TIMEOUT value of SCSI set high
b) SCSI connector/cable/controller/device problem
c) latest SCSI patches.
learn unix ..
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

Re: messages in syslog

Hi,

This document explains little better - http://support1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000059199380

Doc ID - KBRC00001951
learn unix ..
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Early indication of SCSI lbolt error maybe. You should also be seeing more that just that, like something to the effect of "SCSI request timeout". Do you ? This could be due to SCSI termination problem, SCSI connection or even low IO timeout value.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

Believe scb is SCSI Command Block

cdb (Command Data Buffer?)is a SCSI buffer holding the SCSI command bytes to be sent to a SCSI device.

No clue why these are in syslog.log or whether they're informational or warnings/errors.

Any SCSI error in the vicinity of these msgs in the log?

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

There are no SCSI or lbolt messages around these errors. I also had one message about a week ago. I recently replaced a faulty UPS that powers a couple of disk arrays on this system, so some of the disks may have been stressed in power bumps.Is there a way to determine just from these errors which device is involved or are there other logs that may have a clue?

Thanks
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Dave,

No I really don't think there's any way to determine the device here.
I'd exercise all devices with the stm utils OR use dd to copy all blocks to null on all devices.
Will take a while, but you're likely to find the culprit sooner or later.

Good Luck,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Check the stm logs to see if any of the disks are generating errors.

HTH
Marty
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

hello,

I don't think then you need to worry about the errors. It can be just a timeout error value. Now these things can be done:
a) Keep looking at the log files
b) Run STM tools to check all h/w devices
c) Apply the patches regularly.

gl,
learn unix ..
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

How frequent are these errors or/and can you determine something from the timestamps, i.e. do these timestamps indicate a certain event?

If these are frequent and this system is under hardware support, then I advise to log a hardware call.

I am not a hardware type and can not decode these, but I have searched our Knowledge DataBase on a *part* of the error message and found about 100 hits (i.e. too many) for "scb and "scb-> cdb" and "28 00 00"" (without outer quotes) and zero hits for the same with " 3e" or " 16" added to the end. From some reports it seems it may be as simple as a (tape?) drive getting on-line, off-line, etc., but you never know.