108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

metroclulster and continental cluster query

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

metroclulster and continental cluster query

Just have some questions re:Metrocluster and Continental clusters.

1. For Metroclusters, could I implement a Metrocluster without using arbitration/quorum server/cluster?

2. Could I implement a metrocluster or a continental cluster with only single nodes per data center?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

ROMMEL
5 REPLIES 5
Solution

Re: metroclulster and continental cluster query

Rommel,

> 1. For Metroclusters, could I implement a Metrocluster without using arbitration/quorum server/cluster?

- only if you build the metrocluster all in a single data center. As soon as you geographically disperse your nodes you need an arbitrator or a quorum server. Remember that for a quorum server this need only be a x86/Linux box at a 3rd location with resilient network links to the 2 primary sites.

> 2. Could I implement a metrocluster or a continental cluster with only single nodes per data center?

Yes if you like - for Metrocluster see the table here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B7660-90025/ch01s01.html#cegfdhgi

For ContinentalClusters - as these are actually seperate Serviceguard Clusters you would simply have two 1-node clusters.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply. If I include the quorum server in the mix, should I make it a member of the cluster as well?

ROMMEL

Rommel,

Quorum servers are *not* in the cluster. Arbitrators *are* in the cluster.

Generally it makes more sense to use a quorum server these days. As I said it can be a small x86/Linux system or even a small Integrity server.

Just understand that you need to be confident that any "event" that might take out one of the main sites must not be able to take out the site with the quorum server as well. Also consider network events - if a network event prevents access between the 2 primary sites, you don't want it to also prevent access to the quorum site (so entirely seperate network equipment going to quorum site makes sense)

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Duncan!
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

The comments were very helpful.