Operating System - HP-UX
1754304 Members
2690 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating HP-UX with informix from customer place to new server with same configuration

sivakumar_8
Advisor

Migrating HP-UX with informix from customer place to new server with same configuration

Hi GURU's,

I have challenges of moving entire OS with informix application from customer place to new place, with the same configuration boxes.
HP rx2660 x 3

Please help me of proving the steps that what are all possiblity/ check list required while move on this migration.

It would great help if you elabrates more on the steps going forward to sucess the migration. I will give the full points.

If you need further question please ping me at sivayam @ yahoo dot com

Thanks
SIVA-HPS-PUB
10 REPLIES 10
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Migrating HP-UX with informix from customer place to new server with same configuration

I would use Ignite's make_tape_recovery to reload the entire vg00 (-x inc_entire=vg00 option) onto the new hardware, then set up your LVM scenario as similar as possible to previous and reload all your data from your Informix backups.

Pete

Pete
sivakumar_8
Advisor

Re: Migrating HP-UX with informix from customer place to new server with same configuration

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your quick response, if you step by step of taking from make_tape_ to till LVM what to check and how to restore in all prospective.
SIVA-HPS-PUB
Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

if it is a same hardware configuration ,you can use ignite image to to OS part.however need to plan about data file systems ,dns alias andnetwork.

Check following things:

is both systems in same subnet

is both systems in same storage frame

how about the total data.

how are going to migrate ..are you planning to do back up restore or storage cut over.
below are the few similar discussion.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1365038
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1356492

Thanks
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I assume since you identify this as a "customer place" that you must be a consultant hired by the customer. I would expect that a consultant in such a situation would have a certain level of HP-UX and Informix background knowledge - at least enough to take and restore a backup.

But, if it's step by step you want, then . . . . .

1. insert tape
2. issue appropriate backup command (make_tape_recovery for O/S, onbar/ontape/whatever method you choose for Informix)
3. remove tape
4. go to new site
5. insert tape
6. recover

Pete

Pete
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

All you should need to do is change the IP address and gateway in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf

I would change it also in /etc/hosts if the system is self referenced in that way.

Create a test plan for functionality after the move.

Do a complete Ignite backup of the server with informix down in case something breaks.

SEP
hpuxadmin in gtalk
hpuxconsulting in yahoo messenger
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
sivakumar_8
Advisor

Hi Gurus,

I didnt get more inputs from you guys..
I was looking for more steps
Thanks
Regards
SIVA-HPS-PUB
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Sivakumar,

Maybe you need to consider turning down the job, because if you are not familiar with creating and recovering using Ignite's tape recovery methodology, then you can do more damage than good for those boxes.

It is one thing to help, while it is quite another to do a job that you are the one being paid to do.

/Rita
sivakumar_8
Advisor

Hi,

I am not going to do this, my team is going to do, before engage my team i though of let me know the procedure and to face the customer.
SIVA-HPS-PUB
ASIFKHAN
Frequent Advisor

Hi Siva,

I can understand the curiosity of learning the migration process well inadvance.
I don't know much about informix database but i provide the steps needed for making ignite backup and restoring the same over the other machine of same model.

Here are the steps:
1- Collect the information like bdf ,cat /etc/fstab ,netconf ,netstat -in ,cat /etc/hosts ,/etc/passwd, /etc/group etc by running any script.
as it will be helpful in making the changes over other machine after restoration og ignite backup.

2- Before taking the ignite backup please note down the ignite version by
#swlist | grep -i ignite
Now take the ignite backup by running the command:
#make_tape_recovery -Av -a

3- Then restore this tape first you need to boot the integrity machine by using the CD(meadia) which will contain the same ignite version that collected in step 2.

4-
---To recover from Ignite-UX tape--

Note: Direct tape boot is not supported on IA systems

-- Load the Ignite recovery archive tape media on to tape drive.
-- Boot system using Install DVD with the same version of Ignite-UX that is running on the system.
-- Once DVD booted, select Install HP-UX option
-- And select Media only install & advanced installation options
[ * ] Media only installation
[ * ] Advanced Installation (recommended for disk and filesystem

-- Next u will get an option to select media from where we want to recover system.
Here we choose
[ * ] Boot from CD/DVD, Recover from Tape

Now you will get the option to choose the tape device path and select. Then it will load the Ignite recovery archive from tape media and the system will be restored.

5- Once the system got restored then you have to copy /etc/hosts ,/etc/fstab , /etc/rc.config.d/netconf , nfsconf all the necessary files to make this new box totoally equivalent to old boxes.

6 --Now come to filesystem or data backup see if the storage was common to both the servers like EVA8K or EVA8400 or XP or anything over the SAN then you have to just do the new zoning over the switch where storage & both of these servers (old & new one connected)which will include new boxes WWN's & storage WWNs.Then from the old machine just deport the DGs by #vxgd deport dgname
& verify it by #vxdisk -o alldgs list if second last coulmn output comes in bracket and also last column of should be online.

Then after zoning you can see the storage via that HBA whose WWN was used during the zoning,
Now here run the command:
# #vxdisk -o alldgs list .
and check if the DGs & Disk Media that were visible in the above step is also visible to this server if yes then just do the below steps:
# vxdg import -ctf dgname
# #vxdisk -o alldgs list
#vxdg list
#vxprint -ht -g dgname (check the status of the volumes & plexes should be enables other you have to start volumes as well by
#vxvol -g dgname startall
#vxprint -ht -g dgname ( to verify).

So this the advantage of the common storage or SAN storage,

but if you are having separate storage the nyou will have to create the same filesystems by reffering to old bdf ouput of old box.
Then restore the backup of filesystems taken(on old systems) at this new box.
Then also check the echo $PATH for necessary application paths should be included if not then do this.

Finally one request to you that please share whatever the steps will be taken by your team to finally migrate INFORMIX to new box.

Thanks
MAK