Operating System - HP-UX
1754349 Members
4799 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Monitor is connected or not to HP UX box?

SOLVED
Go to solution
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

Monitor is connected or not to HP UX box?

Hi all,

Can we know if a monitor is connected to HP-UX box using command line and fetch some information for it like resolution, model, manufacturer etc.

Thanks and regards.
6 REPLIES 6
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Re: Monitor is connected or not to HP UX box?

Hi,

Normally monitors will be only connected to workstations not servers. Terminals can be connected to servers. And there is no command available to check as for as I know.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
VK2COT
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

In fact, there is a command to help :)

One of them is:

/opt/graphics/common/bin/setmon

Check on-line manual for
options like "-p" or "-r"...

The other one is graphinfo (if it exists
on your server).

Cheers,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic

I think you're going to struggle... this isn't a desktop OS where such things are of a concern.

for a lot of HP-UX systems, if they have a graphics capability of any kind, they will probably have a card with a gvid driver associated with it... so:

ioscan -d gvid

might show you those that are capable of having a monitor attached to them, but whether there is actually anything attached... I don't think there's any way to tell. I'm also not sure whether that ioscan command would capture all the cases... probably not.

As already stated, it's generally an exception for a HP-UX server to have a monitor attached.

Probably the safest bet is a physical inspection (although I presume the reason for your question is that this isn't possible)

Why do you care anyway? Let me guess.. you've been asked to provide an inventory by a manager, and given a template of information required. Whoever created the template added columns for what you described above?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

well Dusan I stand corrected... never knew about this command (but then I never did much with workstations) I suspect however that every box he runs:

setmon -r /dev/crt

will return zip...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

yes Duncan what you say in correct, "I have been asked to provide an inventory , and given a template of information required. Whoever created the template added columns for what i described above".

And the inventory contains lot of parameters and that to with a requirement that i do not use any tools like stm cstm sam and even print_manifest.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>...with a requirement that i do not use any
>>tools like stm cstm sam and even
>>print_manifest.

Well, if they are so smart as to tell you what NOT to use, then go back and ask them what you SHOULD use.